Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Keeps Closing (clicking Sound ! )

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 phantom20

phantom20

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:48 PM

Whenever i start my computer & everything comes on(i.e. all the icons are displayed & the Norton AntiVirus(2007) bar comes on), if I attempt to open the Internet Explorer(version 7.0) browser, it keeps closing !!! Also in the
background I hear a clicking sound, its a sound similar to the one we get when we say refresh a page in the browser. At the advice of a senior member, I did CTRL+ALT+DEL, & made sure no Applications were running & then in the Processes tab, clicked on the CPU column & it showed 2 processes were at the top :System Idle Process & iexplore.exe
The iexplore.exe process shows up in the Windows Task Manager processes tab, even though i haven't opened the IE browser !! Strange !! Also every time the process iexplore.exe goes to the top of the CPU column, I hear the clicking sound.
Till the last 2 days, this clicking sound & the IE browser closing was happening only for the first 3-4 minutes, when I started the computer, but now its occurring sometimes after 3-4 hours also : I hope this problem won't worsen :-(
I have an e-Machines T2958 model 80GB hard disk 512MB RAM running Windows XP Professional SP2 with
Internet Explorer version 7.0.5730.11 as my browser. I ran Norton Anti-Virus 2007, AVG 7.0, AdAware 2007, Spybot Search & Destroy scans : all came out clean. I hope somebody could help me out before this problem worsens !!
Thanx in advance.:-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:00 PM

Hi and welcom :thumbsup:
as this seems to be your first posting on here can you kindly advise what you mean by

At the advice of a senior member,

is this a member on this or some other forum and do you have the new versions of adaware and spybot on the computer ;

do you have any other protection programs on there you have not yet run ?

#3 phantom20

phantom20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

Hi ruby1,

i had initially put up my problem in another forum last week, where one of the members had replied
and asked me to do CTRL+ALT+DEL & check if any of the processes were hogging up the CPU's time
and were corresponding to the computer clicks i heard in the background. So I did so & found that the
process iexplore.exe was running even when I had just started the computer
and not even opened the Internet Explorer browser. So i reported back to the forum after conducting
this little experiment; but no one has replied me back since 10 days !!
That was when i remembered that BleepingComputer.com is a good site & it has a good forum, and i
could have a better & quick reply to my problem, before it worsens.

There is a clicking sound in the background & the IE browser(version 7.0.5730.11) keeps closing, when i try to open it !!!

I have Norton AntiVirus 2007(with the latest daily updates), AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5.1.43(daily updates),
Ad-Aware 2007(daily updates), Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.2( daily updates) - i ran all of them and
all come clean !!!!
. I also ran VundoFix: that also found nothing.

But the above simple experiment suggests that there is some connection between the clicking sound( which closes
the browser) & the process iexplore.exe(which shows up in the top of the CPU column, even when the computer
user has still not opened the Internet Explorer browser).

Kindly reply :-)

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:13 AM

I ran Norton Anti-Virus 2007, AVG 7.0, AdAware 2007, Spybot Search & Destroy scans : all came out clean. I hope somebody could help me out before this problem worsens !!

can you kindly clarify;

which windows version are you running?

do you have both Norton antivirus AND AVG antivirus programs installled on the same computer and is the AVG the 7.5 version ?

#5 phantom20

phantom20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:42 AM

i reinstalled IE 7, it looks like that has solved the problem.
Thank you ruby1 for replying.

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

just to clarify; can you kindly tell us which antivirus program IS installed as you, I guess are aware that you should only have one installed antivirus program?

do you have both Norton antivirus AND AVG antivirus programs installled on the same computer and is the AVG the 7.5 version

I was kinda hoping your cliking sound was NOT the two antivirus programs having a computer fight :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users