Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Theory About The Consolers And The Pc-ers.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:46 PM

I think the people who constantly have heated arguments online about how computers are so expensive and consoles are so useless don't recognize a simple pattern and accept a simple truth: console people own hunting knives and PC people own swiss-army knives. The hunting knife has one thing: performance. It doesn't cost a lot, because it can only do one thing. The swiss army knife can be used in any situation and has many different tools and gadgets including hardware upgradeability, OS, third party software, and the opportunity to do anything under the sun, but you pay for it. Think about it: if a consoler looked at a swiss army knife, his first response would be: where's the blade? and his second would be: you paid this much for this puny knife? The PCer would look at a hunting knife and say: this thing's useless! what can I do with this? there's nothing to do! no wonder it's so cheap! ... So they really need to accept that you can't compare the two and you would do best to either own both or neither. Please have some input on this.

EDIT: changed a few words.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 10 April 2008 - 05:48 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:22 PM

What about the people who put Linux on their consoles? I guess you could say they're taking a bunch of tools and hot-gluing them onto the hunting knife!

#3 SatanicWarmaster

SatanicWarmaster

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:08 AM

Don't take anything i say seriously as it is all pure insanity but my theory is that the cool kids play consoles and the hardcore gamer nerds (get beat up for thier lunch money loner kids) play computer games.

I play computer games. I didn't get beat up for my lunch money (had free lunch).

#4 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:32 PM

Hihi input from moi is also insane.

I use consoles and computers for gaming. I enjoy what each has to offer.

I get free dinners too. I'm in 6th form so nobody beats me
Crazyness comes to those who wait

#5 Garric

Garric

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:56 PM

Though there are those folks who either use only consoles and only computers, not everyone does so. In the extent of actual uses, then yes... I would agree with your metaphor. If we look solely at gaming however, it is not entirely accurate. Furthermore, the XBOX 360, being similar to a computer with a windows OS, has a lot of games that are also out for PC. So, realistically, if all you want either for is gaming, then consoles are definitely cheaper, and also tend to have more available games.

This is of course assuming you don't get your games illegaly, in which case computers can be extremely cost effective. I'm sure that there aren't any BC users who do that though... >.>

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:54 PM

then consoles are definitely cheaper, and also tend to have more available games.

I don't know if I quite agree with you on that. I would guess that there are many times more games for PC's than for any particular console. Of course, I've never seen any numbers so I could be way off!

This is of course assuming you don't get your games illegaly, in which case computers can be extremely cost effective. I'm sure that there aren't any BC users who do that though... >.>

I'm sure no one here has any idea of what you're talking about! :thumbsup:

#7 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:28 AM

I think the only way you would have more games for consoles than for PC is if you own more than one type of console, i.e. xbox ps and wii... if you know what I mean..

I prefer computers for games like FPS and all them sort of games.. But mainly prefer consoles, and play on them, and do work on the PC..

#8 Turi

Turi

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:27 AM

then consoles are definitely cheaper, and also tend to have more available games.

I don't know if I quite agree with you on that. I would guess that there are many times more games for PC's than for any particular console. Of course, I've never seen any numbers so I could be way off!

I'm sure no one here has any idea of what you're talking about! :thumbsup:

I have to say there are a number of games out there on PC that use too much memory, or that I would just prefer to play on my consoles.
And some games vary from PC to console, which I don't like so much ):
Oh well (:
Crazyness comes to those who wait

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:06 PM

Indeed, it seems that PC game designers (along with a certain OS designer, who shall remain nameless) thinks that unless their product eats up 2GB of memory and requires a $500 video card to play properly, then they're doing something wrong! But look at games like Portal! While certainly not designed for an ancient computer, it plays well on most modern machines plus it's one of the best games I've ever played!

#10 GaryT85

GaryT85

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:25 AM

Ah the console vs PC thing..

I own an Xbox360, PS3, Wii, DS, PSP plus various older 'consoles'

I also own various PCs (inc laptops + work machines..)

When it comes to games i think i have given up on PC gaming..

With a console you dont need to update your system compnents every now and then to actually get the games up and running, you just put them in and off you go. multiplayer is often a lot easier aswell.. split screen, friend just pick up a control pad and off you go..

Some of the migration may be due to the fact that i spend a lot of my day at PCs as well, so have a bit of a break when i move to a console..

I could make a load more points but i will just get carried away. simple answer, get both :flowers:

(but then which console do you choose? and what PC setup should you run? :thumbsup: im kidding, of course)

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:31 AM

Of course what some people do is turn a PC into a platform. I read about a guy who built a super gaming rig, loaded it with platform emulators, got a couple of special controllers, hooked it up to a nice big TV and was able to play every platform game since Super Mario Bros!! I think it wound up costing something in the area of $10,000 (US)!

#12 GaryT85

GaryT85

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:14 AM

Of course what some people do is turn a PC into a platform. I read about a guy who built a super gaming rig, loaded it with platform emulators, got a couple of special controllers, hooked it up to a nice big TV and was able to play every platform game since Super Mario Bros!! I think it wound up costing something in the area of $10,000 (US)!

yeah, obviously the PC would have the resources to run various emulator programs, but then there would be the legal issues :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users