Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Fails To Open

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thyde9337

thyde9337

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:45 PM

I have had to have a major reinstall of Windows XP on my Dell Dimension 4500 computer and, as a result, I have had to reinstall my Dell AIO 922 printer but now I cannot use it to print from my Dimension computer. I have connected the printer to a USB port on the computer and this connection is acknowledged if I use Control Panel/Printers and Faxes, however, it will not print. A new download of the 922 software listed in my programs runs but is incomplete - only the DELL Printer Solution Centre is found and there is an error message to say that the printer cannot be found. However, I can use the scanning ability of the AIO 922 in one of my photo editing programs in order to acquire an image but I cannot print the edited picture. The printer is set up for sharing on my home network but cannot be used by any other computer whilst it is connected to the Dimension 4500.

I have also tried it when it is connected directly to my Inspiron 8600 and then it will both print and scan from that computer but not from the networked Dimension 4500. The problems may be caused by a network problem so I shall send a similar message to a Network Forum. On the LAN I can transfer files between all of the computers on my system - see below.

Please can anyone offer some advice?

My System:

Dell Dimension 4500, 2.53GHz processor, 512Mb DIMM, Windows XP, 20Gb hard disk, 80Gb hard disk, Roxio CD R/RW, Blueyonder Broadband & LAN, Dell Photo All-in-One printer.

Dell Dimension 4100, 1GHz processor, 256Mb SDRAM, Windows ME, 20Gb hard disk, Adaptec CD R/DW, HP Deskjet 840C, Scanjet 3300c, Blueyonder Broadband & LAN

Dell Inspiron 8600, 1.4 Ghz processor, 512Mb SDRAM, Windows XP Home, 40Gb hard disk, Philips CDRW/DVD disk drive, Blueyonder Broadband & LAN

Netgear RP614 v2 router.
My System. Dimension 4500, 2.53GHz processor, 1024Mb DIMM, Windows XP, 160Gb hard disk, 80Gb hard disk, Roxio CD R/RW, Dell Photo All-in-One printer. Iomega 500Gb hard disk. Dimension 4100, 1GHz processor, 256Mb SDRAM, Windows ME, 20Gb hard disk, Adaptec CD R/DW, HP Deskjet 840C, HP Scanjet 3300c. Inspiron 8600, 1.4 Ghz processor, 512Mb SDRAM, Windows XP Home, 40Gb hard disk, Philips CDRW/DVD disk drive, Blueyonder Broadband & LAN.Netgear RP614 v2 router.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:23 PM

This is the technique for sharing, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...cutt_july2.mspx

Sounds to me as if you need to disconnect/remove that printer (and all related software)...and start from the beginning with an install of all pertinent parts. Then share it according to the link above.

Louis

#3 thyde9337

thyde9337
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 01:57 AM

Thank you Hamluis for your reply. I have followed similar advice from the DELL Forums as below:

"It sounds like either your usb ports are not working properly and/or you connected your printer early.
Disconnect your printer.
Un-install your printer.
Now go to service manager. Go to USB controllers. Starting at the bottom and working your way to the top of that section, un-install all of the USB root hubs and USB controllers. Restart your computer, Windows will find them and correct the USB problem.(Sometimes a problem is there but Windows says everything is working properly.)
Now go to drivers and downloads/select product/printers/select your printer. Download drivers, Utilities and firmware.
Install your printer drivers. You'll be prompted when to connect it.
Then install the firmware. Test this and make sure it works."

But this failed to make the printer run correctly, although I can use it as a scanner, using programs on the computer, I cannot use it to print.

I am still willing to try any other advice.
My System. Dimension 4500, 2.53GHz processor, 1024Mb DIMM, Windows XP, 160Gb hard disk, 80Gb hard disk, Roxio CD R/RW, Dell Photo All-in-One printer. Iomega 500Gb hard disk. Dimension 4100, 1GHz processor, 256Mb SDRAM, Windows ME, 20Gb hard disk, Adaptec CD R/DW, HP Deskjet 840C, HP Scanjet 3300c. Inspiron 8600, 1.4 Ghz processor, 512Mb SDRAM, Windows XP Home, 40Gb hard disk, Philips CDRW/DVD disk drive, Blueyonder Broadband & LAN.Netgear RP614 v2 router.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:58 AM

Sounds to me like the printer may need repair.

That printer was manufactured in 2004...I don't know if you have had it that long...but I would not be surprised if time is up on one of the functions. The standard warranty period on a printer is 1 year and I suppose there is a reason that manufacturers seem to come up with new models every few weeks.

Fortunately, all-in-ones are fairly inexpensive and the ones available today are much better than earlier models.

Just my guess...

Louis

#5 thyde9337

thyde9337
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

Thank you again Hamluis for your response. You could be correct about the printer but I have now connected it to my laptop and it works fine both printing and scanning. I think the root cause of the printer problem on my Dimension 4500 is the reformatting and reinstallation of XP.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:42 AM

Well...you may be right...but I fail to see how reformatting and reinstalling an O/S...ever creates problems when the procedure is designed to eliminate/reduce problems.

But I've been wrong before :thumbsup: and I've grown accustomed to being so.

If the printer works on another system...seems to me that you may need to troubleshoot the differences between the laptop and the other system. That will take patience.

Louis

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:52 PM

It's showing as the default printer, correct?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 thyde9337

thyde9337
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:38 AM

I have now managed to solve the problem by totally removing the old driver and software. I looked in Control Panel/Add/Remove Programs but the DELL Printer software was not listed although the printer was listed ias the Default printer n Printers and Faxes. I then browsed for the printer software via Windows Explorer and searched through the list of .DLL files. I found the uninstall file and opened it - this used the DELL uninstall program and removed all files and registry entries for the printer. I then went to the DELL Drivers Download website and downloaded the printer driver(s?) and software and installed it successfully. Incidentally I had been there before but obviously I had not removed all traces of the previous program before downloading.

I am now pleased to say that I can both print and scan from my Dimension 4500, I have selected printer sharing and I managed to use the printer from my laptop via the LAN.

Thank you to those who have tried to assist me before.

thyde9337

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:22 AM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users