Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recomended Books

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 willh6919

willh6919

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:06 PM

Hi could some one please recommend some good books covering the pc in general i am not looking for any thing specific at the moment i just want to understand my pc better.
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:32 PM

I found the best for me was to just go to support forums such as ours, and just start reading all of the posts. When an interesting link was offered, I made sure I bookmarked it and read them all. There used to be some interesting tv programs, but sadly that's a thing of the past.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:25 PM

I agree with garmanma about reading thru forums,but want to add this.
It is hard say recommend a book. There are quite a few variables involved. Consider your skill level. Are you looking for general or more specific info? Do you want to know about your Operating system or all? Internet, hardware or software. How things work and why?

I would say you should start in 2 places. Web site like Bleeping Computer and this
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/

Also I'd go to a Barnes and Nobles stroll the Computer section. Pull a few books and see what you want to know.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 willh6919

willh6919
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:41 AM

thanks. yeah i have been reading through here and its been really helpful but i dont always have accsess to the internet so a book would make it easyir.
I think I am more interested in the OS i have been doing the tips and tutorials on youtube and posted on here like speeding up parts of the OS which are great i would just like to know what i am doing and fully understand it instead of just copying a step by step guide to making the start menu faster etc.

#5 juliwats119

juliwats119

• Banned
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

Well I think you should have general goal for your study, then find some relating material online and just as they suggest, you can ask your questions in the forum. They are always happy to help you.

#6 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:05 PM

All the ... for beginners at the book stores :thumbsup:

#7 Boardwalkgirl

Boardwalkgirl

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:45 AM

Someone said they like television programs that involve computer talk. Try your local radio station. My local radio station has a computer tech talk show every Saturday morning.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:36 PM

The "dummies" line of books are a good place to start. I have used their books in the past for MS dos, Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Adobe Illustrator. You can also brows your local college book store for MCSE or MCP class text books (there quite expensive though the set I have was several hundred dollars [MCSE Course] ). However looking at Amazon.com I just found a Windows XP Pro Lab manual for under 4 bucks. I am actually ordering one for myself as soon as the seller confirms the CDs are included.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:04 AM

If you want a really good reference text try Scott Mueller's Upgrading and RepairingPCs.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 28 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

The TweakGuides provide good information on Windows XP and Vista. Best of all they're free.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users