Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting A Drive Letter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MacBett

MacBett

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:58 PM

I'm using Windows XP on a Sony Vaio; a lot of my data files are on pen drives of various types. I have one Integral 4GB drive which I use as my main data backup. That's the one I plug in first thing in the morning, and it shows as Drive G. I've got various programs set up to save automatically to G, open automatically from G, etc etc.

Then I need to open something on a different pen drive, say the DiskPro; I plug it in and it says it's H. Fine. No problem. But if I haven't got the Integral plugged in, the DiskPro will automatically be labelled G - which is not a problem until I plug in the Integral as well, and the Integral gets labelled H, and none of my file paths work. What's more, even after I unplug them both and plug in the Integral again, it will continue to be H, not G.

Now I can go into Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management - and I can tell it that I don't want H to be H, I want it to be G. But what it won't do is remember that on a permanent basis so that the Integral is ALWAYS G. Next time I plug them in in the wrong order, it's H again.

Am I missing something here? Why is it that if I plug in the Diskpro first, then the system remembers that it was G and won't reallocate G even after I unplug the Diskpro, but if I plug in the Integral first, the system won't remember that it was G after I've unplugged it? Both pens are USB 2; they're actually both made by the same manufacturer, although the DiskPro is a 16GB.

So what I'm asking is: is there any way to make XP remember that a specific, not generic, device, has a specific drive letter, so that my 4GB Integral is ALWAYS G? I don't care what letters are allocated to other drives but it's a nuisance to have to trail through the whole system to find something because it's not (apparently) on the same drive twice running.

MB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:09 PM

Take a look: http://mintywhite.com/tech/xp/assign-a-per...sb-thumb-drive/

Louis

#3 MacBett

MacBett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:54 PM

OK, thank you Louis, I've got something workable from that, even if not precisely what I wanted (if that's for Vista, the screens aren't quite the same for XP, but I got there in the end). I'm not sure how that differs from doing it through Administrative Tools?

Anyway, I reset Integral as G and it made not a blind bit of difference. Plug them in Integral fist and then DiskPro, Integral is G and DiskPro is H. Plug them in DiskPro first, and DiskPro is G and Integral is H. It will not save G as a permanent marker, and I tried 3 times. But I've now set Integral as Q, and it seems to be willing to accept that, which is good enough as a workaround. I'll change my various paths as I use them, and trust that I'm doing it only once.

So thank you, yes, that got me if not quite where I wanted to be, at least away from where I was stuck!

MB

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:03 PM

Glad it provides something :thumbsup:.

I think that I've found that "permanent" letter assignments have to not conflict with the basic Windows letter-assignment pattern, so I start at the end of the alphabet when assigning letters which I want to stick.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users