Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overload!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HavocFactory

HavocFactory

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:55 PM

So after recently (just last fall) replacing the hard drive in my computer, everything was working amazingly well. I also resolved not to load a bunch of unnecessary junk onto the computer, and it was running faster than ever before until just a few days ago, then, I inexplicably began overloading the processor... the task manager would pop up, and the taskbar icon as well, to tell me that the processor was running at 100% load, and the computer would slow to a crawl. Interestingly, this doesn't always happen when I have opened a program, although sometimes it does... it seems more or less random. I have already defragged all the disks, done a disk cleanup, run Spybot S&D, and scanned with avast. I am attaching my HijackThis log, in case it will help.

Thanks,

Brendan

{MOD EDIT: removed HJT log so the assistance may proceed here. If needed post a new log inthe Malware forum and tell us here you did and we will then close this topic~~Boopme}

Edited by boopme, 10 April 2008 - 08:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:07 PM

Don't know if this applies...but I know that running Windows Defender...and trying to do something else at that time...results in my system being maxed out.

Eventually, any task that I try will proceed...but it will take awhile before any CPU cycles are allocated to it.

Same principle applies to editing video, except that will just lock up my system.

Soooo...what are you doing or what programs/processes are occurring when these overloads happen?

Have you looked at Task Manager to see what is using the CPU cycles at these times?

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=686

Louis

#3 HavocFactory

HavocFactory
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:08 AM

Well, I'm not sure what Windows Defender is, so I don't think it is that. And my setup was initially built for video editing, actually... I mean, I've been simultaneously running Premier, After Effects with Boris, and an encoder at the same time without a hitch in the past. But now, when I pull up the Task Manager as you suggested, it can show any one of the various processes (usually either a browser or one of the svchost.exes) using up to 95% of the cpu! It's utterly ridiculous... I mean, I've never seen the System Idle change so dramatically so quickly, and the graph for the cpu will always go from almost 0 capacity all the way to 90-100% and just stay there, with very little up and down. That's what makes me feel like it is something like a virus or malware or something that just floods the processor when it is triggered at some point... I don't know. I'm not savvy enough with this stuff to figure it out, but I did attach my HijackThis log... should I move this to the malware forum and repost with the log?

Edited by HavocFactory, 11 April 2008 - 11:10 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

See the MOD Edit in your initial post, please....thanks.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users