Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Laptop Wont Load Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cor3

cor3

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

I dont know if this is the right section or not

Well my brother has this toshiba satellite a105 laptop and it was working fine.
Now I dont know exactly what happened, but my dad (who isnt to computer smart) said that he was reading news and the laptop just shut off and the windows start up logo came up, than the laptop restarted again and it keeps doing so every time the windows start up logo (the blue loading bar) finishes

There is a quick, almost instant blue screen with writing that pops up and I was able to read 'STOP' but nothing further, than the laptop just restarts again

I also cannot enter safe mode either, and when i put in the recovery cd, I get a messege saying WRONG MACHINE, but its the right cd for it

Any ideas what could be happening, and how i can get into windows again

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:58 PM

From what I see...that CD is a recovery CD and it will only work for the system it was created for.

If you get that WRONG MACHINE message, you are not using the right recovery CD...from what I read.

I think it would be better if you could borrow or get someone to burn you a copy of a real MS XP CD and use that in conjunction with the Toshiba license, if the situation calls for such.

The first 11 or so digits after STOP on that error message...are clues to whatever is recognized as wrong. If you can take a look, write them down correctly, and post them here...it would help.

Louis

#3 cor3

cor3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:19 PM

Its the right cd, it came with the laptop... and it says for models a100 and a105 on it
also i cant read the blue screen at all, because it just flashes really quick

#4 Lidan

Lidan

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:30 PM

Have you tried to boot the PC to Last known good configuration by hitting F8 as the boot process starts up?

Edited by Lidan, 10 April 2008 - 04:31 PM.

#5 cor3

cor3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:33 PM

Yup, I tried that, same thing happens

#6 Lidan

Lidan

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:37 PM

I would have to go with Louis advice and say look for a Standard Windows Cd that you could barrow from some one to do a repair install on the PC. The only other Utilities I know of that would possible get you fixed up would be Winternals ERD or a Bart PE disk with 3rd party software to do the repair.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:56 PM

The Toshiba TE2100 notebook model ships with a set of four Recovery CDs.

Discs 1 and 2 contain Windows 2000 Recovery and Applications/Drivers.

Discs 3 and 4 contain Windows XP Recovery and Applications/Drivers.

Be sure to use the correct discs for the version of Windows installed on your TE2100. Installation of applications/drivers designed for a different operating system may cause the system to become unstable or unusable.

The following addendum may be found in the shipping box for the TE2100:

Using the Recovery and Applications/Drivers CDs to Re-InstallYour Computer’s Factory Image
From Tosiba

Your computer ships with a set of Recovery and Applications/DriversCDs which contain your computer’s operating system, a secondary operating system, and various drivers and utilities.

*** If you need to restore / "recover" the system to the original factory-installed configuration of software and settings, be sure to insert DISC 3 to begin the installation procedure.

For more information on using the Recovery CDs, see the instruction insert that shipped with them.

- em/wa

Edited by garmanma, 10 April 2008 - 04:57 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 cor3

cor3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:14 PM

Its not a Toshiba TE2100 and it only came with 2 cd's...

#9 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:18 PM

Hi ... Click on the the website below and see if it can help . Try the first option with towards your restart ( Disabling the “restart on system failure” feature ) and then you should be able to see the error

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Edited by snooker, 10 April 2008 - 05:19 PM.

#10 cor3

cor3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:25 PM

ok, i did that
The blue screen says

verbatim

STOP: c0000135 {unable to locate component}
This application has failed to start because winsrv was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:11 PM

For your reading pleasure: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885523

More info, same line of reasoning: http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/xptvmedia.html

Just one possibility...

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 April 2008 - 06:14 PM.

#12 snooker

snooker

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:12 PM

Ok . Have a view at this below lol beat me to it hamluis lol

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885523

Also you can view this to

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=wi...earch&meta=

HIH

Edited by snooker, 10 April 2008 - 06:15 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:15 PM

Just goes to show that there are two of us thinking in the same manner :thumbsup:, which is OK.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users