Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade To Win98se ?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:57 PM

i have HP laptop win95.. want to put win98SE in it. i want to wipe hdd clean and start from there.. is that the right way to do it ?? if it is is there a step by step guide for dummies for this whole proccess?? or is it to much for a beginner?? (not afraid) thanks for any and all input !!! :thumbsup: kenny
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:10 PM

The W98SE CD is bootable, so it's pretty painless. You enter the BIOS and set the CD drive to be the first boot device, insert the CD, and reboot. It will format and install from there
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

how do you uninstall win95 or do you?? thanks alot. i dont understand enter BIOS and set to be first.. remember im a complete rookie.. thanks garmanma
Have A Great Day

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:42 PM

When you boot to the 98 CD it will format the drive, removing the old OS
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:22 PM

"You enter the BIOS and set the CD drive to be the first boot device" sorry i dont get it. thanks again kenny
Have A Great Day

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:46 PM

I have not worked with HP laptops so I'm not entirely sure how to access their BIOS setup. What is the model number?

To access any BIOS, you start the computer and as soon as the screen shows the boot screen you start tapping a certain key. Most desktops are the "delete" key. Some Intel boards are F2. Present day HP models use the F10 key, I believe. Once in the BIOS, you navigate using the Arrow keys. Page Up and Down keys change values and ESC is abort
Here's a handy guide on the BIOS settings
http://burks.brighton.ac.uk

On the left, under the Fundamentals of BIOS settings, click on the "important bios settings link". To the right, click on System Boot Sequence

Edited by garmanma, 10 April 2008 - 06:07 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#7 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:34 PM

thank you garmanma. i just ordered win98SE so that gives me 3 to 5 days to study up !!!! thanks again kenny
Have A Great Day

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:39 AM

Unlike Windows XP, 98 will not format the hard drive as part of the installation process.

Need the make/model of the laptop to make sure that it meets specs and to locate drivers
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

HP OmniBook 4100 PC laptop.. i have 160 MB of RAM.. 3.64 GB HDD.. fat 32.. does this help thank you very much Eyesee
Have A Great Day

#10 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:57 PM

if anybody is reading this seems the omnibook will not let win98se install (on top of) win95. any suggestions??? can i wipe hdd and do it that way or not ?? thanks for any help..
Have A Great Day

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:02 PM

It's been a while since I've played around with 98. That's why I was waiting for eyesee to respond. Does this laptop have a floppy drive?
Mark
Posted Image

#12 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

it has a removeable floppy and cd rom drive. but you cant have both in at one time.the disc i bought is for pcs without windows.
Have A Great Day

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:31 PM

Go to Bootdisk.com and download a Me bootdisk to a floppy. You need to FDISK the hard drive. Set the BIOS to boot to the floppy. Keep in mind when you start, you start at step 4 and work your way backwards. this will erase the drive and remove all partitions. Then do the same steps 1, 2, 3, and 4. Reset BIOS to boot to the CD drive
Take your time and read this tutorial http://fdisk.radified.com/. You should then be ready to install 98
Mark
Posted Image

#14 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

thank you garmanma. ill give it a shot. thanks again.. kenny
Have A Great Day

#15 keny111111

keny111111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:00 PM

download a Me bootdisk to a floppy.

i downloaded me to floppy.. set BIOS to start A: got message. "non-system disc or disc error replace and strike any key when ready" its getting late try again tommorow.
Have A Great Day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users