Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overwrite In Excel

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 billyjohn

billyjohn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:19 PM

Hi,

I am pretty much a computer novice!! Have just started a new job and made biggish mistake today by overwriting an excel spreadsheet with something else. Its on windows xp. Is there a simple resolution to get back the old spreadsheet??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:42 PM

Hi billyjohn, welcome to BC. :thumbsup:

Have just started a new job and made biggish mistake today by overwriting an excel spreadsheet with something else

OUCH, sorry to hear that.
If by "overwrite" you mean you altered the spreadsheet and saved it with the same name, then it is gone.

#3 billyjohn

billyjohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:32 PM

Thats exactly what I did.

Saved an old copy of a spreadsheet over the top of the new copy and saved it with the same name. Losing the new data.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

Your only hope is that the "Save Autorecovery info" option was selected in excel. If you are very lucky the previous unaltered copy will exist in the application data\microsoft\excel folder by default. To check, open excel and click tools>options>save tab. If it was selected, the path to the backup copy will be there. It's something you need to do though the moment you reliazed the mistake because a second save on the same file (it's on a timer) will overwrite it and it's gone for good. Can't hurt to look though the default save time is only 10 minutes I believe.

Edited by HitSquad, 10 April 2008 - 01:59 PM.

#5 billyjohn

billyjohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:04 AM

thanks for this I gave it a go but with no joy, but I know where to come for my computer questions if nothing else!!

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 11:50 AM

one learns the hard way, unfortunately. It is a good habit, if you are going to make changes in an existing worksheet, to open it and always save a copy as backup ("save as" Name"+ "BU" seems to work for me). Taking a few seconds to do this is a lot easier than losing four hour's work.
Sorry,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users