Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Ms Update Kb944338

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:19 AM

I'm getting ready to do my MS Critical Updates, and researching issues on them before doing so... I came across an issue with this update:

KB944338
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944338

Some people are getting errors and the installation of this is failing. Apparently, all these people have version 5.6.x of the files Jscript.dll and Vbscript.dll. However, this update is for those particular versions of those files if you have them.

So the "fix" if that happens is to apparently update to Windows Script 5.7 here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

...and once you do, then KB944338 isn't even offered anymore.

I have version 5.6.x of the files Jscript.dll and Vbscript.dll -- so I'm a bit confused as to what to do. Do I try to do the KB944338 update first and see if it fails or not? Then, if so, update Windows Script to 5.7? Or just do that in the first place?

And if that's the case, then what's the point of the fix if it doesn't take and you have to update to version 5.7 of those files?

I am con-fuze-ed!

Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

Hi bloomcounty.
An update failing to install would be a good thing compared to installing, then screwing up your system afterwards. :thumbsup:
From MS:

Why Version 5.7?
The primary reason for changing the version number from 5.6 to 5.7 is to simplify servicing and support by synchronizing the versioning to a consistent scheme based on Vista build number. The minor version increase does not indicate significant new features. The scripting feature set is substantially the same as 5.6, with only minor additions.

The fact that the lower version number of those files would no longer be offered in an update only makes sense.
Personaly, I would go to 5.7.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for the reply! I'm still confused though...

Why does KB944338 exist then? If it's for Version 5.6 of those files, but it doesn't install properly -- and when you update manually to 5.7, then the update is no longer offered or needed, then why have it in the first place? What's it supposed to do? MS is saying 5.6 is what's at risk, but if the KB944338 doesn't work to fix it and once you go to 5.7 you don't need it, I don't see the point...

Of course, maybe it fixes 5.6 fine for some and not others?

I also note that the quote you listed mentions Vista, but I have XP. Does that matter?

(Did you install KB944338 with no issues, or did you already have 5.7 and that update didn't come up for you?)

Thanks again!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:38 AM

Mine updated without a hitch -- and without doing the manual update to 5.7. So I guess that was just an isolated incident of sorts for other people. Not sure why...

Just FYI for anyone who either had the same issue or was wondering the same thing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users