Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Usage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 katouriann

katouriann

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:44 AM

What is the normal usage of the cpu when you click on the task manager? I have two computers, my main computer the cpu hovers around 1-3 percent. The other the cpu hovers over 60%. I don't know what causes this since nothing is running in the background. Is this normal or is there something wrong?

margiedogholdingshoe2.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:02 AM

It certainly seems high, especially if your are not connected to the internet. Have you looked in the processes tab to see if there is anything alarming there?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 katouriann

katouriann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:29 PM

I am connected to the internet via cable. It is on all the time. I checked the process and all seems normal. That is why it doesn't make sense. I would like to know what is the normal range.

margiedogholdingshoe2.jpg

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:43 PM

The "normal range" depends on what processes are running and what applications are open. This changes from moment to moment, depending on what is installed and running.

Example: If an AV scan...or a malware scan...or probably any other type of scan by software installed...is running, the CPU usage will increase. How much is a variable.

If you can post a picture of Task Manager when you think that it's too high, that would be useful. There are two tabs that should be posted, Applications and Processes. Before posting Processes, click on the percentage/use column so that the heavy users will be at the top, then take the picture.

FWIW: Being connected to the Internet...is not the same as having one or more Windows open which are on the Web. Every window opens requires a little more CPU power, even though there is only one Internet connection. The connection is important...but the number of connections to the Internet via the cable connection...is more important.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 10 April 2008 - 01:45 PM.

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,711 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:32 PM

To add to those very useful information already given:
  • As I understand the speed of the processor and the amount of RAM available effect the CPU usage.
  • Then at the beginning when the programs load the CPU usage is higher.
  • Sometimes the auto update of the various softwares may run at the background without you noticing it.
  • I have found that the windows auto update on older computers is better to be disabled. You notice it when one of the svchost.exe CPU usage is high and it take a long time to normalize. Run it once a week or once in two weeks manually. I would disable the auto update feature all programs on older computers.
Taking all that into account if still most of the time the CPU usage remain high, as is already advised: begin with spotting which process causing that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users