Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Option Defaults For Xp?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spike404

spike404

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:38 AM

I accidentally erased the default settings in Power Options (in the Control Panel). Now, when I try to enter a power option and save it, I get the message, "revision levels are incompatible", and I cannot apply the setting.

If any know the names of the original default options originally available , and the settings of each, perhaps I could enter the values, save, and start from scratch? Or, what settings ARE compatible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:02 AM

Hello spike404,

The following may be helpful -- first try the fix recommended under "Method 1":

"Power scheme options are unavailable on a Windows XP-based computer":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913622

EDIT:

There is also the following article, which may apply to your situation:

"Error Message: Power Policy Manager Unable to Set Policy. Indicates Two Revision Levels Are Incompatible":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302713

Edited by M..., 10 April 2008 - 11:10 AM.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

There is also a good read and fix here.
Click "download the code" and save the zipped .txt file to your drive. Unzip the .txt file and give it a .reg extension then import to your registry, done. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 10 April 2008 - 11:20 AM.

#4 spike404

spike404
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for the rapid responses. I'll read over the suggestions, and I am sure I will be able to solve my problem.

I'll not do anything for a couple of days; giving me the time to fully understand the steps. I am quite an amateur in-re to computers.

Any other suggestions are still welcome.

#5 spike404

spike404
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

Computers possess no logic!

I tried the fixes suggested. Two accomplished nothing, and the third was too complicated for me to attempt (I have very limited computer skills). Anyway, thanks so much for the help.

Using my limited knowledge, I thought, "I'll fool this instrument of Satan!" I went into Control Panel, User Accounts, and Add a User. I created another account, logged off, logged on using the new account, and the Power Options was there! Complete with the defaults! The Power Options now work fine in both my user accounts!

Strange, creating a new account, restored ALL the defaults.

As I said, computers have no logic.

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users