Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Here Tried Seamonkey?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:34 AM

Anyone here tried SeaMonkey? Have any ideas and opinions about it as default browser and email client?

I want to try SeaMonkey.

I have 14 email addresses and though I access most in Thunderbird, I still want to keep some accessed at webmail.
This seems the way, one app for all, the ones in an email
client and ones webmail. I dont know anything about SeaMonkey, except what I've read.

Whaddya think?

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saint satin stain

saint satin stain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:24 AM

Anyone here tried SeaMonkey? Have any ideas and opinions about it as default browser and email client?

I want to try SeaMonkey.

Whaddya think?

I complete my soliloquy.

I installed SeaMonkey. I downloaded it in zip and extracted it to C drive. I created a shortcut in my Browser folder in All Programs menu. I previously used Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird. I've also used Outlook, Outlook Express, and Eudora (a long time ago). A newbie might require an installer. I don't like installers. The Global Preferences for Navigator, Mail and Newsgroups, Address Book, Chat, and Composer are in one place, so you can do that one time. The setup for the mail of SeaMonkey was about like Thunderbird. The first time that I setup Outlook Express I was bit confused; although it seems simple to me now. SeaMonkey Mail setup is same as Thunder almost, so much so I can't remember any significant difference.

I have a sentimental attachment to Navigator 4.7. I really love those elfish buttons. I use them on Firefox and Thunderbird, and they come as default on SeaMonkey. I have to confess that SeaMonkey is at a more primitive state than Firefox, Flock, K-Meleon, and IE 7 or 8. SeaMonkey's Navigator and KMLite get a message from the Comcast home page to upgrade the browser. I guess you know by now that I prefer Gecko browsers: Flock, Firefox, K-Meleon, and KMLite. Comcast did provide a link at the bottom of the page which basically said, "well, if you insist click this link, but you will not suffer the full grandeur of this site." I use Firefox fot Comcast anyway. Each browser has different homepage(s); they are important elements in my internet filing system.

So far SeaMonkey works on most of the sites I go to. Comcast several years ago had the gaudiest home page. They toned down a bit. One of the reasons that I like Black Viper's site is the wealth of info without too much glitz. SeaMonkey really shines on resource usage; it uses about forty to fifty MB RAM. Firefox and Thunderbird use about 193 MB RAM. I plan to continue to use Firefox (and other Geckos), but will - as the Set Program Access and Default feature of XP - keep access to Thunderbird. So far I am happy with SeaMonkey, but I have much to learn about it. I have PGP and I don't know if it supports SeaMonkey Mail. I may have to manually encrypt or send encrypted lingo files as attachments.

I am going to SillyDog 701 Forums to learn more about SeaMonkey. Well, sss, you are the adventurer.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#3 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:38 AM

The last time I tried Sea Monkey, I did not care for it at all. I will stick with Firefox. Nice to hear from you again SSS, not since the Old Lockergnome days.

Sip

#4 saint satin stain

saint satin stain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:42 AM

Nice to hear from you again SSS, not since the Old Lockergnome days.

Sip

Sip, good to hear from you too. I didn't feel a loss in the force, so figured you still hexed. I run two email clients, SeaMonkey and Windows Live Mail; I may run a third, Thunderbird just to send and receive encrypted mail if SeaMonkey doesn't support PGP.

Don't you feel sentiment for the elfish buttons from the old Netscape days? I tried previous versions of SeaMonkey and they sucked wind. SeaMonkey 1.1.15 much better. It uses less ram than the combo of Firefox and Thunderbird; email, browser, and other features are in one app. I like the other two. Thunderbird with the Lightning addon does a good Outlook lite impression, just what's needed at home.

Run into other gnomic folk?

I listen to music while online. "John Barleycorn" on now. I play "Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine" then some Ahmad Jamal and some Satchm and Ella. I am a sentimentalist. I tried, as said, previous SeaMonkey versions and was disappointed. I originally tried Firefox and Thunderbird because they are the offspring of Netscape. I wish that I could run 4.7 on XP. I also cry at weddings.

Good computing and living, old soul.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#5 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:51 AM

Maybe I will try it again, the last time was about 3 years ago. I run into Webb, Clhenry and Usama and now you . That is about it. I have been fooling around with Windows 7. It Rocks!
Take care old buddy. :thumbsup:

#6 saint satin stain

saint satin stain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:32 PM

Try it again. I tried it once before but didn't like it because it didn't support PGP. PGP is important to me; any program that conflicts with it I will not use. It supports PGP now and also Thawte certs. The right to encryption should be in the Constitution the same as the right to bear arms.

I used the combo Firefox and Thunderbird before; SeaMonkey uses fewer resources than the Ff and Tbird duet. I like the convenience of Address book, HTML processor, email client, and browser in one program. SeaMonkey may not have appealed to you in the past, but SeaMonkey 1.1.15 is kilometers better than previous versions. It supports NoScript, AdBlock Plus, and CS Lite addons, some others, and has many features built in that Firefox and Thunderbird only have as addons. It is difficult to uninstall addons, but there is an addon Extension Uninstaller that makes uninstall convenient. I haven't really measured but it seems faster than Firefox, least as fast. For browser and email client I recommend both SeaMonkey and Firefox/Thunderbird.

Plus I like the old elfish Communicator/Navigator buttons that can be used on several Gecko browsers.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users