Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Troubles With Pro Xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 merellogalasso

merellogalasso

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:05 AM

1.- As I have my hard disk partitioned, C is supposed to have the system and receive just operational and/or temporal files. Despite of that it becomes almost full occupied very soon and defrag is impossible. A short while ago I deleted a bunch of elements that were wrong and then got with a quarter empty that permitted me to defrag successfully. But by now here we are again with the C hard disk almost full.-
2.- Surprisingly, my D one, that's supposed only for downloading programs and so on (and maintained a quarter free), became almost full in circumstances that I have not downloaded anything and now it is D!!!!!!!!!! that is impossible to defrag. It's the first time it happens this with D.-
Appart of that, or, maybe, secondary of that the whole system functions badly slow.-
Every week, maximum, I run CCleaner, that, at first was almost magic. I use both my installed antivirus (AVG) and Panda second opinion. No other people even turn on the PC. Other cleaner named Tune 2007 was about to delete my own person. It's really dangerous. After the Tune 2007 "crimes" it started to appear, at sarting a small window telling that winisy16_061230.dll was impossible to be arranged because no folder was found. I feel that speed failures started there.
Nobody has been able to tell me if I can install Pro XP without having the danger to loose information.

Iappreciate any help.
Many thanks and regards.
"There are atoms and vacuum; the rest is opinion"
(Democritus, several centuries before Hume and Kant)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:17 AM

panda and avg are both resident antivirus programs, that's a cardinal sin if they start trying to both protect you, that tune program looks to be legitimate but here again you adding another potential conflict into an already unstable system

I would download and install some maleware scanners with one of my AV programs disabled

One of the problem with dual av resident protection is something is more likely to get thru

One you know you are clean then you can back up some data off D, make more room and defrag

somewhere along the way you can run windows as a repair disk to try to get things working again

it will take a little work but you can save your data that way

I would suggest you invest in an external hard drive as it seems you are running out of space on your internal drive, or add another internal hard drive
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

this is a must read for anyone using windows xp
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:24 AM

Registry cleaners can be dangerous for those that don't know exactly how to use them, improper use can result in parts of the registry being deleted. If you are going to use one of these tools I would suggest that you back up your registry. You can find instructions here.

How large is the hdd, and how large are the partitions.

The hdd partitions have to have 15% free space, other wise you can't defrag it. If you have a small amount of RAM some applications will be more than it can handle, the hdd will try to help by using swap files, and if the hdd is too full this combination will bog down the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users