Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Popups On Mozilla

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 dibbee

dibbee

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:38 AM

I use Mozilla Firefox and have removed the use of Internet Explorer on my Sony Vaio laptop. However, IE is still installed I am sure. Occasionally an IE webpage pops up that states it cannot find the page on the internet. I have spybot, avast, windows defender but they do not seem to find anything. What could be the problem?

(Moderator edit: from another related post, this example:
"http://url.adtrgt.com/cpv.jsp?p=112140&...%2F%2Fsawyerrea
ltors.com%2Fdisplaylist.asw%3Flistnum%3D1118243%26mls%3Dcincy&selectedKeyword=ron&selectedLis
tingId=7219539" jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 11 April 2008 - 08:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

Hi dibbee, welcome to BC. :thumbsup:
My first "guess" would be autoupdate. You should see a url in the address bar that IE is trying to connect to. Do you?

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:24 AM

IIRC, there was someone recently having this problem and it turns out that Netzero forces customers to use IE. Don't know if this is the same problem but it seems similar. I don't think there was a solution in that case either.

#4 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:48 PM

Do you have any antispyware software on your laptop? If any, which ones do you have? And have you tried scanning with them? Do you also have an anti-virus installed?

Reason: Question was addressed to the previous post. Answered in the new post.

Edited by Juha, 11 April 2008 - 08:03 AM.

#5 Gravyola

Gravyola

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

Hi,

This seems to be more of a network issue than a specific IE7 problem. Have you tried accessing the site using a different browser or from another machine on your network? If this is successful, perhaps you should double check the network settings in IE7:

Tools->Internet Options->Connections->LAN settings

GravyolaxO.

#6 darkrose

darkrose

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:05 PM

IIRC, there was someone recently having this problem and it turns out that Netzero forces customers to use IE. Don't know if this is the same problem but it seems similar. I don't think there was a solution in that case either.

this is different i think. i had a topic where IE would open with netzero but all i had to do is click on the little red x and close IE and then click on firefox - it does fine and i don't get an IE page trying to pop up on firefox. security settings or firewall maybe?

#7 dibbee

dibbee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:56 AM

I am not using ie at all. I just use Mozilla Firefox. I have spybot, windows defender, and avast antivirus. None have showed anything. The url on this annoying popup is url.adtrgt.com. This morning when my husband went in his yahoo mail, many many of these popups started showing. I rebooted and it is better now but they still are popping up.
A program called adware alert declares that it can get rid of this annoyance but it costs $20. I am thinking of trying it free for a month to see if it works. If anyone can help me with this I would be so happy.By the way, I do not use netzero. I use verizon wireless.

Edited by dibbee, 11 April 2008 - 09:07 AM.

#8 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:42 AM

Were the anti-virus and antispyware programs up-to-date before scanning with them?

Anyhow, try scanning with Super antispyware (Free Version), which is probably the best Free antispyware program out there: http://www.superantispyware.com/

Also, use Kaspersky Online Scanner (which is also excellent) to check for viruses online:
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

Makes sure you remove what they find and reboot. Then see if the popups continue...

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:53 AM

It looks like a rogue spyware product. Don't buy it.

#10 dibbee

dibbee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:48 PM

The popup continues and it says url.adtrgt.com in the url space. I used superantispyware but it found 2 seemingly unrelated (rootkit tricore/trace) threats. I do not use ie at all but it is a popup that says ie on it. Anybody else have any solutions?

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:37 PM

Hello dibbee,

Now that you have posted anew about this issue here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/141166/what-is-urladtrgtcom/ To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. So that your helpers can keep track of what has or has not been done, please keep your posts about this issue in that topic rather than posting new topics about it. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users