Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it audio, Ram, HD problems or something else

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 shootertec

shootertec

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:35 PM

Out of no where and after months and months of clean error free CD music listening and CD-Rom game playing, my computer starts to stutter and skip. I switch the CD-Rom with another and same result. I can listen to about 3 or 4 tracks of a CD just fine, then it begins to skip and pause. I used to be able to play Age of Empires (and other similar games) just fine as well, now I get slow game play and broken audio.

What I don't understand is why this is happening just out of no where. I have a middle of room graphics card and use on-board audio. I have a P4 1.7ghz with 512 ram a geforce 64 card. I have gone so far as to total format my hard drive to nothing, and installed a fresh copy of XP on my system. Right now I haven't
Re-installed corel, dreamweaver, or any of my games. The system is basically free and clear of all "extra" programs.

Any ideas? Why has been fine for literally months if not a year or more, then all of sudden start this?

I don't think it's memory, because it has worked fine in the past and as far as I know memory works or it doesn't.

I don't think it's the on-board sound or lack of a separate sound card, again it has worked beautifully up until recently.

The only guess I have is the Hard Drive, since this is the only item I know that will begin to fail over time.

Before I go out and spend money, I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas or experience with this sort of issue.

Thank you and sorry for the long posting................

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shootertec

shootertec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:47 PM

Can anyone help? My CD skips when playing games and audio CDs now.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:56 PM

Create an additional user identity and limit its start menu (programs that it will load on startup) to just those essential to your playing games or listening to music.

Try downloading a different audio-video player than whatever you use like Windows Media Player, or Realplayer, whichever you don't have and see if that eliminates the problem.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 23 March 2005 - 05:32 PM

Get a CD-cleaning kit. The lenses get dirty over time. Make sure that the CD's don't have fingerprints or dirt on the back. If they are badly scratched, get a CD repair kit. (Very inexpensive when you consider that you can save CD's that are gone south with a little polish and cleaner.) You can also blow canned air into the unit but keep the can upright so that fluids which may damage electronics don't spray out.

If that doesn't help, it may be that you've worn it out. The little mechanism that moves the laser back and forth may be having a problem when it reaches a certain spot in its track.

I had a period where I went through several CD-Rom units until I realized that it was a bad disk controller on the motherboard. It wasn't until other drives started having problems that I realized it.

Edited by Herk, 23 March 2005 - 05:33 PM.

#5 shootertec

shootertec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2005 - 07:04 PM

I already switch the cd-rom with another cd-rom. Same problem still.

How can I test a the disk controller to see if it's failing?

If it is failing, can I fix it or replace it?

Thanks - -- - -- - - -

#6 shootertec

shootertec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:11 PM

Does anyone know how to check the drive controlls?

Does anyone really use this site?

If not what site do you suggest where you find lots of people, help, and actions.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:06 AM

Lots of people use this site and every one of them has a life beyond this forum. Everyone who posts here is a volunteer and comes by when they can.
If your problem is that urgent suggest you find a shop and pay someone to look at your problem.

I don't think it's memory, because it has worked fine in the past and as far as I know memory works or it doesn't.

Memory can begin to go bad slowly and not neccessarily all at once. Try running Memtest86 3.2 . When you unzip the file extract it to its own folder that you create and double click the install.bat file with a blank formatted floppy in the drive. After the bootable floppy is created reboot your computer, go into setup or the bios and set your floppy drive as the first boot device. Your computer will boot and run the memory test.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:01 AM

The only guess I have is the Hard Drive, since this is the only item I know that will begin to fail over time.

:thumbsup: is all I have to say about that.

How can I test a the disk controller to see if it's failing?

If it is failing, can I fix it or replace it?

there isn't really an Easy way to "test" the disk controller. you can assume it is bad by using other drives that you know work then don't on that disk controller. You can't replace but you can buy a IDE Controller card they are cheap you can normally get one for under $40
(Promise is my Preferred Choice) IDE Controller Cards

Yes People use this site you've had now 4 people reply to your post in under 48 hours! giving us only a few hours to respond b4 you post again by basically “dissing us” will just get more of our members to ignore your post. I agree with Leurgy 100%. and just want to add somepeople only access these boards at work I am one of those people. (If I sound rude I actually mean to!)

Note: I suggest you follow Leurgy’s Advice.

Edited by LoLucky, 24 March 2005 - 10:03 AM.

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2005 - 10:07 AM

You may want to visit windows updates in IE, to make sure you have the latest version of drivers for your sound card. This happens to me a lot, when i visit windows updates, i usually get a lot of hardware updates.

When you visit windows updates, click on the non express option. This way you can customly select which updates you want.

#10 shootertec

shootertec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2005 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the help from those that offered help (Enthusiast, Herk, and yanowhiz) and $%&# off to those that are so thinned skinned that you take a honest question so personally.

Does anyone know how to check the drive controlls?

If not what site do you suggest where you find lots of people, help, and actions.

I was simply trying to determine if this web site is used or not. Instead your took it as a personal attack on your yourself, that is sad.

Reason stating is that the few times I was online with the site, it would show only 2 or 3 people ever on line, while totally lame discussion boards about farts or bad jokes may have thousands online at any given time.

Never the less, the help is appreciated even if it did take some probing to get it.

#11 shootertec

shootertec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 08:01 PM

Looking to verify the AC97 audio driver is the latest. Any known drivers that are new?

The update:

Appears that the controller is the bug in the system. Nothing else seems to help or hurt the system when I change it.

I just remember several other people in the past from other sites having the same errors, so it's not that uncommon.

#12 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:16 AM

Thanks for the help from those that offered help (Enthusiast, Herk, and yanowhiz) and $%&# off to those that are so thinned skinned that you take a honest question so personally.

Beating a dead horse here, but its what I do best! Apparently you don't read the posts people make on your post. Leurgy and myself both posted some helpful information pertaining to the questions you asked.

I was simply trying to determine if this web site is used or not. Instead your took it as a personal attack on your yourself, that is sad.

No No what is “sad” is that you posted back with a “personal attack” on me. Yes I take you dising the members of a community I’ve come to know and like, personally as an attack on me. If I was dising your friends (should you have any) would you not stick up for them and take personal offence in my actions?

Reason stating is that the few times I was online with the site, it would show only 2 or 3 people ever on line, while totally lame discussion boards about farts or bad jokes may have thousands online at any given time.

:thumbsup: you must be in some other dimension. because unless the site is down I’ve never once seen this site under 50 people online at any time.

Looking to verify the AC97 audio driver is the latest. Any known drivers that are new?

AC ’97 is just a standard codec. telling us you have a AC ’97 is like telling us you have a car when we ask what kind. What you need to say is you have a Realtek, VIA, C-Media (you can obtain this information by going to Start > Run > Type msinfo32 > press enter > Click the plus sign beside Components > Click Sound Device. it will list the information about your onboard sound. Now you can Look up the information Realtek is up to 3.7, C-Media is up to 5.12, and VIA is up to 5.5 (I think)
Note: These versions are “Subject to Change” with the computer manufactures Compaq, Dell, E-Machines Are known for this at times.

#13 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:27 AM

It would be snarky of me to suggest that you might consider posting your technical questions on those highly populated discussion boards, so I won't do that.

FWIW, my Mom always told me to be extra polite when visiting someone's home. Dad had a more earthy version, something like "don't mess on other people's carpets".

How about a fresh start? Repost your problem(s) on a new thread. Provide as much detail as you can. Give the members here time to consider solutions, remembering that they are all volunteers, all with lives and day-jobs. Respond to questions back to you requesting additional information; they are not asked to annoy you, but to clarify the situation. This back and forth process can be a great learning experience for all of us, especially when it is conducted with patience and courtesy. I hope you'll consider that.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users