Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent Connection Troubles

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandrite

Alexandrite

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

I'm having an interesting problem with my web browsers (Firefox 2, and Internet Explorer). After a few minutes of working fine, if perhaps a little slower than normal, they stop being able to connect to the internet at all. I've tried using a few other applications capable of internet access after this happens, and some of them can still connect, even while my browsers are proclaiming my network unavailable and timing out. I recently installed AVG Security Suite, but disabling the firewall doesn't seem to have any effect on the problem. I've tried reinstalling my network drivers to no avail. I've tried reinstalling Firefox, and running both browsers in "safe mode" with addons disabled. A side note, I uninstalled Zone Alarm when installing the AVG Suite and the uninstall didn't go smoothly, leaving the TrueVector service on my computer. When enabled, I get nearly no connectivity (I think anything I didn't approve through Zone Alarm back when it was installed is blocked). When TrueVector is disabled, I'm where I am now.

A short list of programs I know do not connect when this starts happening:
Firefox 2
Internet Explorer
Steam Client's integrated web browser (The updater, etc appear to work fine)
Unreal Tournament (Crashes when I try to run the server browser)
AVG Suite Updater

List of programs I've seen still able to connect to the internet
Pidgin IM - I know it works because I can still send and receive messages
Xfire IM - same as above
World of Warcraft - Connected to my realm
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars - Connected to several multiplater servers

I'm on Windows XP, SP2. This problem will not appear until I browse the internet for a while. There doesn't appear to be any pattern to the sites I'm at when the problem manifests. Again, the measures I've have tried are reinstalling Firefox, reinstalling my net drivers, restarting my network adapter when the problem pops up, and disabling my firewall when said problem happens. None of these things seem to have any effect. The only thing that does anything is rebooting, which works only until the problem comes back.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:20 PM

Here's a few things you can try:

Log on as an administrator, go Start > Run and type: "cmd". In the window that appears type: "netsh winsock reset". When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Go Start > Run > type: "cmd" In the window that appears type: "ipconfig /flushdns". Close the command box.

Go Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item. Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically". Reboot.

Warning: Some Internet Service Providers need specific DNS settings. You need to make sure that you know if such DNS settings are required before you make this change.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Alexandrite

Alexandrite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:38 PM

Thanks for the reply, but neither of those solutions seems to have worked. Also, after resetting the winsock catalog, AVG Firewall refuses to load. The error is "An error occurred while starting AVG Firewall. The operation returned because the timeout expired."

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:57 PM

I would try uninstalling and then reinstalling AVG.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Alexandrite

Alexandrite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:42 AM

No such luck there. Also tried running the network repair wizard from Control Panel -> Network Connections. Also no luck. The odd thing is, vista on the same computer has no trouble whatsoever.

#6 Alexandrite

Alexandrite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:54 PM

Bump.

Also, I should note that I can still ping domain names after the problem manifests, but my browsers won't access them.

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:07 PM

Hi Alexandrite,

Have there been any other programs installed on this PC recently?

Is there any Proxy set or used?
Check to see if set to automatic:

In Firefox,
Go Tools/ Options/ Advanced/ click on the Network Tab, then click Settings.
Select the radio button that says Auto Detect Proxy Settings for all this Network.
Click Okay

In Internet Explorer,
Go to Tools/ Internet Options/ click on the Connections tab, then click on LAN Settings.
Select Automatically Detect Settings.
Click Okay twice.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:37 AM

A side note, I uninstalled Zone Alarm when installing the AVG Suite and the uninstall didn't go smoothly, leaving the TrueVector service on my computer. When enabled, I get nearly no connectivity (I think anything I didn't approve through Zone Alarm back when it was installed is blocked). When TrueVector is disabled, I'm where I am now.

To begin with I would remove this service from the system.

#9 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2008 - 11:14 AM

I agree with farbar - completely uninstall zone alarm

Uninstall Zone Alarm
http://nh3.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/...stallNonNT.html

#10 Alexandrite

Alexandrite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:52 PM

Looks completely uninstalling ZA did the trick. I did have the TrueVector Service disabled, but apparently that wasn't enough. Thanks guys.

#11 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:00 PM

You are welcome. I am glad it is sorted out.

#12 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:10 PM

Glad it worked for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users