Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fat 32 Or Ntfs? And What About Partitions?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kmorris_99

kmorris_99

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:36 PM

I am reformatting my HP Pavalion zv5000 laptop. I am using the disks supplied by HP to do this. I was unable to boot this machine up so I booted from the Operating System recovery CD. I know that this is going to erase all data off of this machine, but I am at peace with this. :thumbsup: My questions so far are:
1. Do I use the FAT32 file format or the NTFS file format?
2. What about partitions? There is a partition called C: Partition1 (NTFS) at 76309 MB and there is 8 MB of unpartitioned space. Do I delete the larger partition? Both?

This is as far as I have gotten so far

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:42 PM

the windows cd won't let you format fat32 over 32 gigs for the system partition/drive, ntfs is better anyway

do the slow format, it marks any bad sectors, if given that choice

just format the large one, don't touch the other
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 kmorris_99

kmorris_99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the reply, Chewy!
So, I need to delete the large existing partition? It says there is only 36854 MB free on that partition. Will that change if I just press ENTER and let it write XP to that partition, or do I need to delete it first, then create another C: partition?
Please excuse me if my questions are dumb. But at least they are not dumb for lack of asking! I just want to make sure I get this right.

Kelly

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:45 PM

You don't need to delete the partition but you should format it. There should be an option to format the partition during the installation.

HP Notebook PCs - Repairing or Reinstalling Windows XP with the HP Operating System Disc
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 kmorris_99

kmorris_99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:58 PM

Thank you Budapest! There was no option to to format the partition, so I deleted it then created a new partition. I am installing XP as we speak. Thank you for the link, as that will surely help!

Kelly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users