Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Display And Xp Display Is All Messed Up.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 suprermetroid

suprermetroid

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:37 PM

When I boot up my computer the display on the POST looks a little grainy and there are vertical lines through the letters. Also a few of the characters are missing and or replaced with other letters. When I hit "delete" to enter BIOS its is completely unreadable. There is a lot of flickering and the characters are screwed up. Only a few letters are somewhat readable. When I exit BIOS (I know how to exit cause the exit menu is navigable only because I know it from memory. When I let the computer boot XP the same problems persists. The characters are all screwy as if its in another language. The splash screen graphics have vertical lines though the Windows XP logos and a few colours are missing. Finally when XP is loading up all I get is checkered boxes on my screen. I can still see my mouse cursor though.

This problem began over the weekend I surfing the net then all of a sudden my computer begins to slow down and the mouse cursor has yellow vertical lines around it. Then finally the computer freezes/locks up. I turn off the computer and try to power it back on but the it wont turn on after a few minutes the computer I tried again and everything was fine. Yesterday morning the same thing happened and this time I would boot up the PC but nothing would show up on screen as it was completely blank. After a few hours I try to turn on the computer again and I got the initial beep but then the display problems I described earlier happened. I thought it was a power supply issue so I got a new one a few hours ago. I installed it and the same problem happened.

My specs as follows:

XP
AMD 2500
1GB Ram
Asus 5200x

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:55 PM

I would have tried a new CMOS battery first...the system acts very strangely when it needs to be replaced.

If that provided no joy, I would move on to other components.

Louis

#3 suprermetroid

suprermetroid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. They sell CMOS batteries? A similar problem happened to my sister's computer all she did was get a new case. Essentially she was getting a new PSU so thats why I got a new power supply unit.

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:12 PM

Sounds like bad ram to me...

Have you tried memtest? Have you reseated the ram? Is it overclocked?
Does this system use internal video, or do you have a seperate graphics card installed?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:13 PM

Radio Shack or a similar place will have the CMOS battery. Its the CR2032. About 5 bucks
Try that first
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:14 PM

Try using another monitor to see if the problem persists. If it does, you probably have a problem with your video card/onboard video chip. Depends on what you have. If there's a small fan on the video processor, it could be clogged or broke
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 suprermetroid

suprermetroid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:03 PM

I havent touched the RAM and its not overclocked. I tried plugging in another monitor but nothing shows up on screen. I do not hear a beep either. My video card is not internal. Its a geforce 5200 or something like that. This compouter is about 5 years old.

Edited by suprermetroid, 09 April 2008 - 08:03 PM.

#8 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:45 PM

Ah.. the ram can only cause this on internal video cards.

My guess is failure of the graphics card. It may be that the fan failed, given the age of the card, and that caused it to overheat and burn out.

Good luck,
Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#9 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:01 PM

Some of those 5200's don't even have fans. Garbled BIOS sounds
like video card.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#10 suprermetroid

suprermetroid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:43 PM

Can I plug in my monitor to my on board video card without disabling my AGP card?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:01 AM

You can try just changing the connection, as long as you haven't disabled the onboard video in the BIOS.

If that doesn't allow the onboard to work, then I would remove the video card and then try the onboard.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users