Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner Advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hothett

hothett

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:14 PM

I was wondering if I could get some advice on ccleaner. I am not sure what regisrty integrity issues I can address. The program seems to make a backup before you make changes but am very leary to make changes untill I halfway understand what I am doing. I have scanned for issues and found many. I have tried a test with just a small scan on the file integrity section in which had found only three things, all were shortcuts that it claimed didnt exist (infact they worked). I "fixed" them and then the shortcuts on my start menu were gone. I tried adding the register back and the shortcuts didnt come back. I am not sure that they should have or not. Anyway I have lots of problems listed like missing shared dlls, unused file extinsions, open with application issues, ActiveX/com issues, invalid default icon, application path issues, installer reference issues, and obsolete software key. What does it all mean? I am nervous to do anything. Can you help. And does this clean the registry? Will it get ride of the things under msconfig/start that i have gotten ride of but are still in the list?

just to throw one more question. I had at one time WS FTP thing and it added a link on the start/find section but the program is goneand the button is still there. What can I do to get rid of it?

Thanks for all the good info on this site.

Hothett

Mod Edit: I will be splitting this off to it's own topic.

Edited by scarlett, 22 March 2005 - 05:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:40 PM

Bump :thumbsup:

Edited by Scarlett, 09 July 2006 - 11:54 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 06:04 PM

Personally I would not use the regcleaner portion as it gives some odd suggestions that dont always seem like they are true problems.

Unless you are having a problem, I would just stay out of the registry and attempting to clean it tends to cause more problems than leaving it alone

#4 John_McKenna

John_McKenna

World Class Hairy Chest

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 27 March 2005 - 07:35 PM

I "fixed" them and then the shortcuts on my start menu were gone. I tried adding the register back and the shortcuts didnt come back. I am not sure that they should have or not.

On the 'Issues' tab under the 'File Integrity' heading, uncheck the 'Start Menu Shortcuts' box. After a while, your most used programs will appear on your Start Menu again. :thumbsup:

Took me weeks to figure out where they'd gone !! :flowers:
Want to fight back? Click HERE and learn how to remove spyware.

If I've helped you, please consider donating to the Multiple Sclerosis Society (UK)

#5 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:33 AM

old post here, but i searched for an identical question to mine. I'm going to follow the same advice and not run the registry repair part of ccleaner. i love the cleaning of the files though. Thanks for the info.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 12:31 PM

Smart move Bernie70, as one mistake in the Registry can render your computer inoperable.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:28 AM

See, now I have the opposite experience. I use CCleaner on a regular basis, clean the registry and everything (after backing it up, of course). Not only have I not had any problems, but the computers all run marginally to moderately faster afterwards (it's a small computer lab with lots of users and tends to get bogged down after a while)

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 16 July 2006 - 08:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users