Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wmp. Ie And Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:46 PM

I can not access Windows Media Player, Windows updater and can not use the search function in IE (embedded into web pages or in tool bars). :flowers: I originally thought it to be malware or security related. I have had my Hijackthis log checked by D-Trojanator He says that my problem isn't due to a serious security issue :thumbsup: and directed me here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

What happens when you try to access any of these functions? Do you receive any error messages?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:15 AM

Hi Nightspear.
Took a very quick peek at your log. You might want to start by temporarily disabling all your browser add-ons IN IE.
After you've done that, close and relaunch IE to test. You also have multiple toolbars installed, never a good idea as they
typicly don't play well together. :thumbsup: If disabling your browser add-ons produces no results, uninstall the toolbars and test.
It could also be one of the multiple P2P\File Sharing apps installed on your system but wait on those for now.

#4 Nightspear

Nightspear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:43 PM

Budapest
I get no errors, in WMP nothing happens. I check the task manager and it shows it running. Hrs after I start it it still doesnt open. IE just give me a blank page with searchs. Same when I run Windows Updater.

Hitsquad
I disabled all add ons and with same result. I uninstalled all tool bars, same result. The only P2P program my Add remove program list shows is uTorrent. I see no other P2P installed. I uninstalled uTorrent same result.

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:02 PM

Hi Nightspear,

The problems you mention seem related to each other but I can't figure out how so lets begin with the most important one, it may solve the others too.

You may try this if you have not tried it already:

Go to Internet Options:

1. Under General tab empty your IE cache (all Internet temporary files, history and cookies)
2. Check and if needed reset all the privacy and security settings to its default by pressing default button.
3. Under privacy tab click on Sites button, then click on Remove all and then OK to clear all the restricted sites. (If you use SpywareBlaster you have to re-enable it again to add the bad sites restriction again.)
4. Click on this link and see if you get connected to update site:
http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
5. If you get connected press on Custom button and see if you can update Windows. If not check this one:
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Windows_Update_Fix

There may be another option to download and run a utility called Dial-a-Fix but I recommend you to go through those steps and see if you can make it work.

Good luck!

#6 Nightspear

Nightspear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:52 PM

Farbar
I can connect to Windows Updater now and updating as I speak. The search function in web pages brings up a blank page now instead of nothing (FYI I am testing the search on the best buy web page). WMP still does not open but no longer shows in the task manager.

Edited by Nightspear, 11 April 2008 - 07:55 PM.

#7 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,723 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:03 AM

I am glad the windows update is working. Could you tell me how did you manage to get it going? What did you do and what was the problem? Giving feedback may help others with the same problem.

About WMP: May be some corrupt file or a broken link in the registry. What about uninstalling and a clean install of WMP ?
  • Uninstall WMP and all its related updates from add/remove.
  • Remove WMP Folder from Program Files.
  • run windows Disk Cleanup. To do that Go to start-run- type "cleanmgr" (without "), click OK it shows C drive to be cleaned, click OK, check Temporary Internet files, Temporary files and Recycle Bin. Click OK to confirm.
  • Download and install WMP from this link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...11/default.aspx
Good luck!

#8 Nightspear

Nightspear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:47 AM

I followed you instructions. However I did not need steps 5 or 6.

Go to Internet Options:

1. Under General tab empty your IE cache (all Internet temporary files, history and cookies)
2. Check and if needed reset all the privacy and security settings to its default by pressing default button.
3. Under privacy tab click on Sites button, then click on Remove all and then OK to clear all the restricted sites. (If you use SpywareBlaster you have to re-enable it again to add the bad sites restriction again.)
4. Click on this link and see if you get connected to update site:
http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

About WMP: May be some corrupt file or a broken link in the registry. What about uninstalling and a clean install of WMP ?

* Uninstall WMP and all its related updates from add/remove.
* Remove WMP Folder from Program Files.
* run windows Disk Cleanup. To do that Go to start-run- type "cleanmgr" (without "), click OK it shows C drive to be cleaned, click OK, check Temporary Internet files, Temporary files and Recycle Bin. Click OK to confirm.
* Download and install WMP from this link: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...11/default.aspx

Seeing that I have CCleaner, should I run that instead of the Disk Cleanup?

Edited by Nightspear, 12 April 2008 - 10:53 AM.

#9 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,723 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:56 PM

Nightspear,

Thanks for the feedback. Certainly CCleaner will do the job, that is even better than Disk Cleanup, just make sure of this one too:

Open CClener, Select Cleaner, Under Windows > advanced > check the box next to Old Prefetch data.

Edited by farbar, 12 April 2008 - 01:14 PM.

#10 Nightspear

Nightspear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

Farbar,

OK I got it all uninstalled, actually it rolled back to a previous version. However I can not delete the program files. I get an error message saying that one or more of the files are being used by another program. I do not see it anything pertaining to WMP running in the task managers under the processes tab.

Should I boot into safe mode and try?

#11 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,723 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:49 PM

Hi Nightspear,

No I wouldn't force it. Just apply CCleaner before installing the new one .
  • Open CCleaner > Click Cleaner > Windows and make sure the following items have a check mark :
    • all the items under Internet Explorer .
    • All the items under Windows Explorer .
    • Under system: Empty Recycle bin and Temporary Files .
    • Under advanced Old Prefetch data (this one you need now if you wanted you may unckeck it later on)
  • Under Applications > Multimedia > Windows Media Player
Good luck!

#12 Nightspear

Nightspear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:25 PM

Farbar,

I uninstalled WMP, removed files and such, ran CCleaner and reinstalled WMP from your link.

No change

#13 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,723 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

You may use a utility called Dial-a-fix, it does no harm to use it even if it didn't help. It removes the restrictions. You may check all the items but the section number 5 applies to WMP. Here is the information: http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

Download Dial-a-fix from Majorgeeks or djlizard.net

To remove restrictions:
Doubleclick Dial-a-fix-date/versions.exe to start the program.
Immediately a window will open with on top: "Dial-A-fix : Restrictive policies"
You'll see registry keys.
Check them all and click the remove button below.
Then click close. This should close the policies window.
Then click exit in the main window under it, because we don't need anything from there.

REBOOT your computer afterward, important.

#14 Nightspear

Nightspear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:14 PM

Farbar,

Dial-a-fix seems to be hanging. I had it run all night to be sure that it completed what it needed to. I selected everything and now it is hung up on something in section 4 (SSL/HTTP/Crypography) while stopping the Cryptsvc. Here is a screenshot.
Posted Image

Edited by Nightspear, 17 April 2008 - 07:15 PM.

#15 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,723 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:00 AM

The tool needs normally a few minutes to finish. So there is something wrong.
  • You should open task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) under Application tab select Dial-a-fix and end press End Task.
  • Go to Start > Run and type in Run box: sfc /scannow

It may takes a while (usually around 20 min). It checks the integrity of Windows system files and if needed replaces them. You need your Windows installation CD as it asks you to insert it.

• You may try again this time checking just section 4 and 5 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users