Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Professional 64bit

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:36 PM

I was thinking about spending a little and pick me up a copy of Windows XP Pro 64bit. But before I do I wanted to ask.

Whats the difference? The only one I know of is that it supports 4GB RAM +
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:48 PM

Scroll down and read the whole article
http://en.wikipedia.org/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Lidan

Lidan

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:31 PM

Also be aware that many software programs will see x64 as 2003 server which means they may not install. For instance if you use the free version of AVG anti-virus you will have to buy the pro version to use it on x64. Other programs will work but only with slightly older versions for one reason or another. So if you are highly dependent on a specific piece of software do some research on that with x64 before you make the jump to it.

On the other hand for most games and things of that nature work just fine for me on x64.

Edit: Also not sure if this is still a issue but if you use windows media connect to stream music or video to say an xbox360 it works quite a bit different on x64 than I have seen on 32-bit. But I have not seen a recent release on 32-bit at some point it got integrated into media player on x64.

Edited by Lidan, 09 April 2008 - 07:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users