Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Prints Single Line Of Random Signals Then Feeds Sheet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 brindize

brindize

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

I have Windows XP Home on a 6-month old Dell Vostro 200. I have been using an old HP Deskjet 500C printer. I had to add a cable to convert the printer from parallel to usb. The printer began printeing random sets of characters, gogglygook to me, after my daughter tried to print a form from a web page using my guest account. Hve tried various sequences of plugging in the power cord of the printer, the usb to the computer, the parallel cord to the printer, deleting the printer and reinstalling it. Nothing works. this happened twice before and I thought it was something to do with the order of events hooking up the printer. I do not know what caused the problem or how to fix it .

Edited by brindize, 09 April 2008 - 01:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:17 PM

So you did delete the old printer setup...and then reboot and reinstall the printer, using the new connection setup?

The only thing I can think is that XP sees the printer connected by parallel port...when it is not. Result is garbage.

Just guesswork.

Louis

#3 brindize

brindize
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:09 PM

I added the printer again using virtual usb port, plugged in printer, plugged into usb port, turned on printer. I was able to print one page. then the next document I tried to print gave me the message "This document failed to print". Viewing printer it indicates it is Ready.

Edited by brindize, 09 April 2008 - 09:11 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:42 PM

Did you load the drivers for the printer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 brindize

brindize
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:56 AM

The driver is included in XP, so I used the one provided.

#6 kalpia

kalpia

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:02 PM

#1. I would either go to HP's site and download the latest driver or find one on the net. Hard to believe but even XP can be wrong...on accasion.

#2. Did the printer work before you tried to convert to USB? If so then I would be very supicious of the USB setup portion, it too can be wrong on accasion.

#3. Printers are fairly cheap, maybe it's time to up grade. That's what I did, new ink for my HP cost $60; a new Epson print cost <$100. Seemed like a no brainer to me. I liked the HP but the price of ink was nutz.

Let us know how it goes & good luck,

Kalpia
To error is human, to forgive is against company policy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users