Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Wont Boot Anymore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSmash

SuperSmash

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:09 PM

Hello Bleepingcomputers users,

A while ago a condesator collapsed on my brothers motherboard. The computer still worked but not as it supposed to. I changed his motherboard with my working motherboard.
When i connected everything properly and booted up the computer, there was an error that the hardware changed and that i had to set BIOS settings to the default. So i went into the BIOS but while
changing the settings, the BIOS time counted BACKWARDS!! (at fast speed). Suddently the BIOS froze. (In al my years off computerexperience i had never saw this before) I could not turn the computer off with the power button anymore. So i turned it off using the on/off switch off the powersupply. When i tried to turn on the computer again the screen started and stayed completely blank and i could not hear any POST sounds comming out the internal speaker off the computer.

Computer specifications:

ASUS A8N-SLI
Geforce 7900 GTX
2 Maxtor Sata harddisks
2 GB Ram Memory
1 IDE LG DVD burner
1 IDE WD harddisk
AMD 4200 + Processor
ASUS powersupply from 500 Watt

Below you can find everything that i already tried to do:

* Changed the jumpers from the CMOS to reset the CMOS >>>>> No effect
* Replaced the BIOS battery from the motherboard to the battery (from the corrupted motherboard) >>> No effect
* Changed all the harddisks >>> No effect
* Changed the powersupply to my old (working) powersupply >>> No effect
* Changed the monitors including the cabels >>> No effect
* Changed the processor to my old (working) processor >>> No effect
* Changed the motherboard with the corrupted motherboard >>> No effect (still no POST and blank screen)
* Removed all PCI cards >>>> No effect
* Changed the RAM to different slots and ram modules >>>> No effect
* I tried to connect an USB Floppydisk station with an diskette inserted to see if the computer would boot from it >>> No effect

So i did not know what to do anymore on except one thing:

The last thing i did is that i placed the motherboard (including the VGA card) in the freezer for about a night.
After that i took it out the freezer and connected everything properly.

I turned on the computer and it WORKED!!!

So i went to the BIOS to change the settings and there was the date/time countdown again.

And now it still wont boot (blank screen and no POSTS) (No USB and other devices that works)

I thought it was something with the BIOS/CMOS chip off the motherboard so i changed it (it wasn't solded on the board) but >>>>> No effect

The led off the motherboard is just GREEN (so it thinks it works and has no problems)

I dont know what to do anymore i have never had this before.

Please help me with my problem :'( :'(

Kind regards, Jeroen

----------------

Also the USB and PS2 off the motherboard doesn't seem to respond.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:38 PM

Is the damage mobo and the one you exchanged it with the same? Did you use your board and his CPU and memory? Are you sure everything is compatible? With the board mounted in the case, are you sure the solder traces underneath aren't touching anything?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 SuperSmash

SuperSmash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:15 PM

Is the damage mobo and the one you exchanged it with the same? Did you use your board and his CPU and memory? Are you sure everything is compatible? With the board mounted in the case, are you sure the solder traces underneath aren't touching anything?

The processor memory and motherboard are all the same yes (it was a complete copie) the computers where identical.

I Already checked that too the solder traces aren't touching anything

#4 SuperSmash

SuperSmash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:52 PM

Ok the motherboard northbridge just collapsed (right by my face)

this thread can be closed

he will buy new stuff

thanks for the comments to help me

(this topic can be closed)

Edited by SuperSmash, 09 April 2008 - 03:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users