Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Says No Signal On My Computer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 idsweetie72

idsweetie72

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:09 AM

I have a Gateway that runs on Xp. It has been an awesome computer, (I've had it for a bout a year 1/2), but a couple of days ago when I start my computer it just humms along and doesn't kick on the Monitor. When I push the power button on the monitor it reads No Signal, then shuts down. I have tried switching monitors, cords, opened up the tower and cleaned it, everything I could think of. The funny thing is, sometimes the computer will kick on the monitor, and sometimes it won't. I know it WILL kick on the monitor when the tower humms for a few seconds then beeps, if it just humms- no go on the monitor. Any ideas? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:56 PM

Are you using a graphics card or the onboard?

What is your motherboard make and model number?

You say the monitor will work at times, when it doesnt work do you get the post screen on the monitor or nothing at all?

Does the computer shut down or stay running when you have nothing on the screen.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:30 PM

You've changed monitor cords, can you get a hold of another monitor to try? The make of motherboard isn't necessary but we need to know the model of the Gateway. When you say it hums then beeps, is this when you first turn it on? You get a post beep when every thing passes a BIOS test. When it doesn't pass, it won't beep and you have no video, leaving us to assume that's the problem
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 behr

behr

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:31 PM

If you have a video card that is in a clot, take it out and put it back in (Maybe a different slot). In my experience, sometimes they seem like theyre plugged in all the way, but arent.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:04 AM

If you have a video card that is in a clot, take it out and put it back in (Maybe a different slot). In my experience, sometimes they seem like theyre plugged in all the way, but arent.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:40 AM

I've had this happen...when my video card was not fully seated in the slot.

Took me awhile to figure it out, but I had bent the end of the card bracket just a bit too far (to make it fit the connection window) and the result was a card which went into the slot but did not have proper connection with the system. A minor adjustment took care of that.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users