Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Install Windows 2000

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 greenlemon15

greenlemon15

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:27 AM

I am working on a Winbook J1 with only 128MB of ram. It had Windows XP but ran so slow it might as well not run at all. We decided that loading Windows 2000 Pro would make the machine decent. I started by deleting the original partition and begun to install the 'new' OS. After it goes through the 100% formatting it starts to copy files but this is where I have problems. Several files , usually ending in .dll, won't load. I am currently trying to reinstall the OS so I can put the exact files names in here. Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, on Kingston's site they say you can put TWO 128MB memory chips in but I only see a slot for one, is there a second one under the keyboard?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 greenlemon15

greenlemon15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:41 AM

*update*

Here is what happened when it tried to copy the files
Those are the files it could not find and at what % they failed at

icam3.inf 27%
ks.sys 34%
mf.sys 43%
objsel.dd 59% gave me a message saying the cd might be the issue

#3 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:28 PM

This may also be ram as well :thumbsup: I have tried windows installations that failed with data transfer errors, because of bad ram. Just something to check before giving up....

There may be a 2nd ram slot under the keyboard.. though I am not sure for that specific model.

One thing you can try is copying the win2k disk in another machine so that you have a fresh, unscratched copy. If the files still fail in the same locations, then this might be ram, and memtest is a good option.

A good tool for copying the disk is IMGBURN.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#4 greenlemon15

greenlemon15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

I switched out the memory and am going to try and reinstall. I don't think it is a memory or HD issue since the other day it was still running XP.

#5 greenlemon15

greenlemon15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:36 PM

Well I stand corrected. With the new memory it loaded just fine. I'll update if there are any further issues, thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users