Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Monitor...black Screen + 'no Sync'

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bschoeck

bschoeck

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:47 AM

Hello, I've combed the "BLACK SCREEN, HELP!" postings, but they all seemed a bit different than my situation...
thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

I have a desktop PC, Windows 2000 XP SP2, AMD Celeron...
I was on the Internet, the screen flickered black periodically (maybe every 30 seconds), and then it went purely black.
I've rebooted a number of times in the last week; most times, the screen immediately displays "NO SYNC". One time, now, it has displayed the...um..boot screen? for a few seconds (the screen that shows the Energy Star logo and "Press F8 to..."), but then went to NO SYNC.

After I power ON, the keyboard lights flicker, the monitor light is orange, the fans start in the CPU, and I hear a single BEEP, and then clicking and whirring. Like normal.

Possibly related, I recently ran all the programs advised on the old "Preparation Guide for Use Before Posting HJT Logs", such as Spybot, Stinger, ZoneAlarm, AdAware, etc. (BTW I can't find that page anymore, just the one about Kapersky and DSS Preparation!). Could that "knock something loose"?

Also, I plugged my monitor into a laptop (ACER, Windows Vista Home Basic),but it merely altered the appearance of the laptop screen, and nothing appeared on the PC monitor. Is there a trick to this part?

Okay, thanks again if you have any advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bschoeck

bschoeck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:56 AM

...oh, and one more thing: this phenomenon has happened before, many months ago, but it went away after I jiggled the cables (connecting the monitor to the CPU, and the power supply) around a bit. Thanks!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:18 AM

That "No sync" refers to a monitor situation, I think. I interpret it to mean that the signal is not getting through properly to the monitor for display.

I would check the connections from the monitor to the video card/chip.

I might also just remove the video card, ensure there is no dust around the slot...and then reseat it.

Louis

#4 bschoeck

bschoeck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:23 AM

Hamluis, thanks for the advice...sadly, it didn't bring my monitor back. I did remove and clean the video card, with further tips from Cleaning the Interior of your PC

Does anyone have any further ideas? Oh, and how can I test the monitor using a laptop? Should the monitor display the same image as the laptop's, if I just plug it in?

Thanks,
bschoeck

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:51 AM

My experience is...connecting a monitor to a laptop results in the image appearing on the monitor (assuming that there is a connection for a monitor on the laptop).

I was dealing with older laptops which had display problems and used a monitor to determine that they were only display problems.

Louis

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:45 AM

Also check for bent pins in the monitor cable
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 bschoeck

bschoeck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:17 AM

I've connected the monitor to a laptop and no luck still. Also, the pins in the monitor cable appear to be straight. ...anything else I can do, short of buying a new monitor? Thanks again!

Edited by bschoeck, 10 April 2008 - 11:21 AM.

#8 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:35 AM

When connecting to a laptop you may need to switch the screen settings.

On my laptop its set as default to only display on the laptop screen, when i plug an additional monitor in i have to use the Fn + F5 keys to switch to use the external monitor. Maybe you need to do this, on the F1 - F12 keys you should have a picture of two squares with an arrow on, press Fn Key + the F key to switch between displays.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#9 bschoeck

bschoeck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:18 AM

Emu1616, thank you, that's brilliant! I followed your instructions...
my monitor DOES work, beautifully displaying the laptop's screen.

On a whim, I re-connected the monitor to my PC. Turned on the PC. I got the POST screen, which then went to the screen with the choices to Start Windows in Normal Mode, Start Windows in Safe Mode, etc! Hooray! Then--tragically--the screen blanked back to NO SYNC. It flicked back and forth to the "Start Windows in Safe Mode" screen, until finally it stayed blank indefinitely.

So, what could we be dealing with? We know the monitor is fine, the cable is fine...again, really appreciate the advice, guys!

-bschoeck

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:19 AM

Do you know if you have a video card or onboard video? What is the make and model of the computer?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 bschoeck

bschoeck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 01:08 PM

garmanma, I'm not sure what 'onboard video' is, but...I think I have a video card. I saw a picture of the computer's insides on the cleaning tutorial, and saw the thing labelled 'video card'. I took that out already, to clean it, and the put it back.

Make and model...I know it's AMD Celeron, but sadly can't access the Control Panel to find anymore. Thanks!

#12 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:19 PM

No Problem!

If you have removed 'said' video card and reseated it and the issues still there, try removing it completly and using the onboard video, you wont see this as a card but looking at the back of your tower, along where you'll have the mouse and keyboard PS/2 ports and USB, LAN ports etc... you'll see a port that you can plug the VGA monitor cable into, try that and if it works it would indicate an issues with the video card your using.
~ E-Mu ~

#13 bschoeck

bschoeck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:13 AM

Emu1616, thank you...but my VGA monitor cable has 2 male ends, as does the socket for the onboard video. Nonetheless, the monitor also failed after I had it connected to the laptop for about 15 minutes, so...maybe its just the monitor itself?!

#14 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:47 AM

Going on the failure of the monitor on the laptop (make sure no screensaver kicked in) i would try and get hold of another monitor and try that next before going any further.
Can you get hold of the make/model number of your motherboard?
~ E-Mu ~

#15 bschoeck

bschoeck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 09:41 AM

Gentlemen, thanks for the effort. I've had no luck finding a monitor--everyone is on laptops here in Taiwan. Anyway, I just bought a laptop myself, as the ol' desktop seemed to be suffering from a lot of random things (see my other posts). Shall we close this topic?

Best,
bschoeck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users