Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DataMiner&HJT

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 missfilippa

missfilippa

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:45 PM

Whenever I run an antispyware program (I use Spybot and AdAware), they always come up with DATA MINER. I quarantine and delete but it always comes back. How do I ( and should I ) get rid of this permanently?

Also, I have HJT ver 1.98. Is this too old and if so, how do I get a newer version?
missfilippa thanks you..........

Mod Edit: This will be moved to a more appropriate Forum.

Edited by scarlett, 22 March 2005 - 04:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:00 PM

I'll be happy to help you with your second question. As a matter of fact you do have an outdated version of HJT.

This link will direct to the download page @ BC where you can d/l and install the latest version of HJT 1.99.1

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/hijackthis.php

Edited by scarlett, 22 March 2005 - 04:10 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:53 PM

Hi missfilippa. Welcome back. :thumbsup: Haven't seen you around for a while.

Data miner is just another way of saying tracking cookie. That's a very low level threat and not much to worry about. They are downloaded by adservers every time you visit a website that displays ads from companies like Double-Click. They keep track of your surfing habits in order to serve ads they think you would be interested in based on those habits.

They are not coming back because they are hidden somewhere on your PC. They just get redownloaded when you visit whatever site you got them from before. I have never really worried about them, but I hear you can prevent them by going into Internet Explorer and disabling third party cookies.

To do this:
1. Click on Tools>Internet Options>Privacy Tab>Advanced button
2. Check "Override automatic cookie handling" and then mark the circle next to "block"
3. Click OK, OK.

You can also delete all your cookies under the general tab of internet options. If you do that you'll lose your good cookies tho, and will have to log in to places that require it--like webmail and BC.

Sounds to me like you're in good shape if all Spybot and AdAware are finding are tracking cookies. :flowers: Personally this is how I clean up tracking cookies, that way I don't loose the good cookies.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#4 missfilippa

missfilippa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:37 PM

for papakid: Thank you re: getting rid of Data Miner etc. Also, thank you for your evaluation of how well I am doing using SpyBot and AdAware.. This is a real compliment you gave me.... missfilippa

#5 missfilippa

missfilippa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:46 PM

for scarlett: re: getting new version of HJT:... do you mean that when I go to
the correct site to download HJT, the older version will automatically be
deleted? thank you, missfilippa

0 user(s) are reading this topic