Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Setup Installation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gurjz

Gurjz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:31 AM

hi i have a travelmate laptop with windows xp home edition on there, i had a virus on my computer that would not let me open any programs when i booted in normal windows mode or safe mode, so i went it 2 safe mode > run > msconfig > boot options and checked the safe mode boot, i then started the xp setup installation to re-install windows but everytime the laptop turns on it is in safe mode and i get a message saying - windows xp setup cannot run under safemode setup will now restart, but everytime the computer restarts it is in safe mode, is there anyway to cancel the setup and stop the default safe mode setting or a way to get out of safe mode, i have tried pressing f8 and choosing start normally but it still starts in safe mode and i have tries the bios setting to boot from disc and it says i am not allowed to change the seetings on there any help please :thumbsup: some1 has told me the only way 2 sort this out is to buy another hdd and put that in start from scratch, please tell me there is another way

Edited by Gurjz, 09 April 2008 - 08:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:46 AM

You can boot strait from disk for the windows installation.

If your installing id recomend a clean install but I don't know exactly how much all your files are worth too you.

But! If clean install is out of the option, you can always do a repair intall that shoulden't harm any of your personal files. :thumbsup:
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 Gurjz

Gurjz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:49 AM

how do i boot from disk, when i go in to the bios it wont let me change any of the settings in boot menu

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:54 AM

Wont let you change that in BIOS? Thats odd...

My Compaq has an option "press F9 to chage boot order" are you sure you donot see any of that (NOTE: I don't know if its F9 by heart but I think it is)

Mabey your BIOS is old and outdated? Im not sure if you can flash a BIOS in safe mode but if you can, you can contanct your manufacturer for a BIOS upgrade.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 09 April 2008 - 08:56 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users