Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raise Your Voice For Tibet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#1 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:17 AM

I dont usually do these things, but I got this sent to by a family member: http://www.avaaz.org/en/tibet_end_the_violence/

I dont like these things where you have to leave your email address, but I am sure those interested will know how to fill these forms / what to do.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:44 AM

(if you're not an American, skip this post.)

How about raising your voice for America?

It's about time we concentrated on the problems here, at home.

Let the rest of the world deal with their own problems. It's time the U.S. stopped being the unpaid and abused baby-sitter for the world. :thumbsup:

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:34 AM

One could always send an E-mail to the President and one's elected representatives asking that the official US delegation boycott the opening ceremony in protest of China's repression of Tibet and their own dissident citizens. I believe that is the current French position, and admire them for taking a stand.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:19 AM

Let the rest of the world deal with their own problems. It's time the U.S. stopped being the unpaid and abused baby-sitter for the world. :thumbsup:

Great point, don't forget how much money we would save.
"To do less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine

"The things you own end up owning you." Tyler Durden

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#5 ophelia

ophelia

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:03 PM

Good point really except that Tibet has always belonged to the Tibetans and not China, until they invaded Tibet in 1948 althought some say 1950

Edited by ophelia, 09 April 2008 - 05:04 PM.

I know nothing, except the state of my own ignorance

#6 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:40 AM

One could always send an E-mail to the President and one's elected representatives asking that the official US delegation boycott the opening ceremony in protest of China's repression of Tibet and their own dissident citizens. I believe that is the current French position, and admire them for taking a stand.
Cheers,
John

No. Don't do anything! That's the whole point. It is not our problem and we don't have to take a stand or voice an opinion - or anything else. It's not our problem.

This country would be a lot better off if it would just stop sticking its' nose into things that are none of its' business.

Edited by MattV, 10 April 2008 - 04:41 AM.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:44 AM

No man is an island, entire unto himself. Nor a nation.

Surely the trampling of liberty and self-determination anywhere should be protested, and an E-mail to an elected representative- - -of a nation that stands for all men having the basic rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness- - - to absence themselves from the opening of the Olympics in Beijing is, at least to my mind, warranted.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 jedi

jedi

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:21 AM

Playing devils advocate, there are of course two sides to every story:

#9 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:43 AM

No man is an island, entire unto himself. Nor a nation.

Surely the trampling of liberty and self-determination anywhere should be protested, and an E-mail to an elected representative- - -of a nation that stands for all men having the basic rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness- - - to absence themselves from the opening of the Olympics in Beijing is, at least to my mind, warranted.
John

Doing nothing is warranted. Let the rest of the world deal with their problems while we handle ours - which will include cleaning up the messes we've made all over the world for not simply minding our own business - starting with straightening things out domestically.

Edited by MattV, 10 April 2008 - 10:44 AM.

#10 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:12 AM

I just don't know why our government picks and chooses which parts of the world to police, and then the places that we do choose, we just can't really help at all. Iraq, afganistan are some modern examples. But I don't think we should so easily forget vietnam, it wasn't that long ago. Please, everyone who thinks that we should help all these countries, remember that it could end up like vietnam or worse, do your history lessons people.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo

#11 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:07 PM

Since my last post I have since decided that the Olympics are not the right place to stage a political protest. The olympics are supposed to be a time when everyone puts aside their differences and the best athletes in the world compete. It is not right that the athletes, who have worked so hard to rep their country, are being sacrificed for political reasons.

#12 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:08 PM

Since my last post I have since decided that the Olympics are not the right place to stage a political protest. The olympics are supposed to be a time when everyone puts aside their differences and the best athletes in the world compete. It is not right that the athletes, who have worked so hard to rep their country, are being sacrificed for political reasons.

Agreed. And well put.

#13 skyfuser

skyfuser

• Members
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:32 PM

In the world, nothing penetrates like politics.
I only heard about the news today from my friend T_T And I'm still not sure what's going on.
And not sure if this is allowed but this site seems to flame western press coverage.
And exactly who's the victim here? :thumbsup:
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way." - Bertrand Russell

#14 ophelia

ophelia

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:15 PM

I am very sorry to use your post to disagree but....

I met His Holiness the Dalai Lama in 1999 in London

Sorry but Tibet belongs to the Tibetans, that is their homeland as England is my homeland, would you wish my homeland or your own to be taken away by another country? if so then please ignore the post I have made
I know nothing, except the state of my own ignorance

#15 ryan_w_quick

ryan_w_quick

• Members
  • 488 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:50 PM

I am very sorry to use your post to disagree but....

I met His Holiness the Dalai Lama in 1999 in London

Sorry but Tibet belongs to the Tibetans, that is their homeland as England is my homeland, would you wish my homeland or your own to be taken away by another country? if so then please ignore the post I have made

well, i see your point. But the olympics is not about politics, nor should it be. the athletes should be allowed to compete without global politics interfering. But seriously, how long as tibet been occupied by China? and we act like its such a big deal now? if it was, the world should have banded together and banned china from the 2004 olympics. but they didn't, and now everyone thinks that the usa should boycott the olympics??? what would it do? piss china off more? probably. they would withdraw and become more isolated than ever, and all hope of persuading the chinese through diplomacy would be over.

I repeat, I do not condone what China has done with respect to Tibet, but the olympics is not the correct front to attack the problem. Period. It would make everyone's relations with China worse, and China would say, :thumbsup: , we are keeping Tibet. If you don't like it then that's your problem."

Edited by KoanYorel, 17 April 2008 - 11:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users