Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New System Hangs Randomly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zadren

Zadren

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:53 AM

Hi peeps,

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to shell out and build myself a nice new rig. I'm reasonably up to speed with PC's and have built several in the past, but this problem has me completely bamboozled.

First off, system specs:

Motherboard: Asus P5KC
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 at 2.4 Ghz
Memory: 2 Gb of Corsair RAM
Graphics Card: Asus Geforce 8800 GT
HDD: Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500Gb SATA II
DVD Drive: MSI x16
Floppy: Generic FDD
Network Adaptor: Netgear Wireless 802.11g

Initially, the system worked fine but then it started to freeze up whilst playing games. The PC becomes completely unresponsive to anything but the power button. No error messages pop up, and there is no Windows recovery message after reboot.

At first, I thought that the system may be overheating (the card is huge and I used my old case), but Speedfan says that all the temperatures are quite low. The only other symptoms are that the sound can pop and stutter occasionally without crashing, but when it does crash, the sound can be stuck in a loop, also after a crash it can hang at the Windows splash screen for a while before continuing.

As I mentioned, initially I thought it may be an overheating problem, as it mainly happened whilst playing games, but now I find that it can actually happen any time, whether I be watching TV, surfing the net, playing a game or anything. Also, it can run for quite a long time before hanging (2-3 hours) or can freeze 5 minutes after a startup when it's cold.

All my drivers are up to date, Windows is updated, AVG antispyware and antivirus are updated as is Zonealarm firewall. I run CCleaner to get rid of junk every couple of days.

Looking at device manager, there are no conflicts or missing drivers and the system passes POST just fine.

I am pretty much at the limit of my knowledge at this point, but was hoping I could get some pointers here before I cave in and take it to shop and pay for it it to be sorted.

Many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:20 PM

Welcome to BC
Does anything show up in the Event Viewer at the time the problem happens?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:26 PM

You might want to check your memory. You can get a free download here:

http://www.memtest86.com/

I have seen bad RAM do just what you describe.

You didn't say whether this was XP or Vista but if it is Vista I would get another Gig or 2 of memory. Vista is a memory hog.

Good luck.

DR

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:15 PM

the ram is prime suspect but it may be set wrong? and still be good

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

use coretemp to monitor those cores, you should be in the 50's tops under prolonged load

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

use this to crosscheck the motherboard temps(should be in the 40's

vid card no higher than 70

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

for a look at how your memory is configured

Edited by DaChew, 10 April 2008 - 03:17 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 zedsed420

zedsed420

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:05 PM

I know this is a shot in the dark but have you considered reinstalling the OS? I had a similar problem awhile back and reinstalling the OS fixed it. Don't know if it will help your issue or not.

Asus Crosshair III  Motherboard, AMD PhenomII x4 965 custom watercooled XSPC Raystorm copper block,  8g Mushkin Blackline
2 XFX Radeon 4890's in Crossfire mode custom watercooled full copper EK blocks,  XSPC rs360 triple 120 radiator 
850w Antec full modular 80plus certified,  NZXT Switch Black case  Custom Watercooled Laing DDC w/ XSPC pumptop res

Tygon black tubing,  all Bitspower fittings and clamps, 2 Samsung 1T spinpoint F1's 

Windows 7 Professional x64 dual boot Ubuntu 12.10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users