Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Readyboost Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JacobV_*

Guest_JacobV_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:48 AM

I have read the tutorial but I don't feel my question has been answered..

I have maxed out (4gb) the Ram for my 32 Bit Vista Ultimate OS.. With the recommendation of using a 1:1 ratio, would it be worth it to get a 4gb flash drive?

Would there be a very big difference, not much or none? I was thinking that since Vista only sees 4gb, that having the flash drive would be the same as having 8gb of ram, worthless after the 4gb. But I don't know too much and was hoping someone could clear it up for me.

Thanks for all replies

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:06 AM

If you have a fast computer already with plenty of RAM, you won't notice much of an increase in speed from ReadyBoost. Having RAM is always preferable to using ReadyBoost, RAM is just more quickly accessed. Also, Windows will not treat the flash drive as extra RAM with ReadyBoost. Those with older systems with around 512MB of RAM or less will certainly notice a difference. I've included some articles that are worth reading.

Vista's SuperFetch and ReadyBoost: How Does it Affect You?
ReadyBoost Flash Drives Lack Significant Boost
ReadyBoost | Windows Vista for Beginners

3939.png

#3 fred333

fred333

• Banned
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:24 AM

I will have to look into the ReadyBoost.

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:40 PM

hi,,, i have 2gig of ram and only just notice the diff if im doing a lot of things at once,,, i used a cruzer 4gig hi speed readyboost flash drive,,, also the coer2 helped,,,, then just to see the diff i put it in my friend's early dual core with 1gig of ram and it took off,,,, a lot more responsive and quicker,,, but if he put another 1gig of ram in his pc then the differance would make the readyboost look silly,,,,, there also usefull for laptops when doing a bit of intensive work,,, helps it tick along better,,,, but with 4gig of ram,,, or 3.5 that 32bit vista see's then you could probley put a 12gig flash drive in and not notice anything as it dose'nt need it,,,,,,,, good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:34 PM

I have 1Gb DDR 2 RAM installed and using speedboost with my SDCard i do notice a slight difference, for the cost of actually buying a SDCard i could buy a RAM stick for around the same price.

NB. i only used my SDCard out of my digi camera for the test
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:30 AM

hi emu,,,,,, i see your from the uk like me,,,,, for all memory cards and flashdrives i use this site,,,,,, its a lot cheeper than the shops. a 2gig sd card 6,,, a four gig sd card 12,,,,, take a look,,, good luck
http://www.mobymemory.com/default.asp?PART...CFQESEgod6nCWmQ
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:09 AM

hi emu,,,,,, i see your from the uk like me,,,,, for all memory cards and flashdrives i use this site,,,,,, its a lot cheeper than the shops. a 2gig sd card 6,,, a four gig sd card 12,,,,, take a look,,, good luck
http://www.mobymemory.com/default.asp?PART...CFQESEgod6nCWmQ

Thats not a bad site that one - thanks!
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users