Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Kb938371 Causing Conflict With Mouse Driver

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 USAFPhoenix

USAFPhoenix

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:17 PM

Hey all. After I installed Windows Update KB938371 and restarted, my mouse ceased functioning. I have a generic Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard. The keyboard continued to work just fine, but not the mouse. Vista recognizes the mouse as a "HID-compliant mouse". My guess is that something happens to the drivers after the update. When I check the mouse properties after the update has been installed, it lists NO information about it or the drivers. I used system restore to bring the computer back to the point before I installed the update, and the mouse is working again.

Here is the update that is causing the problem:

Update for Windows Vista (KB938371)

Download size: 4.9 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

Install this update to enable future updates to install successfully on all editions of Windows Vista. This update may be required before selected future updates can be installed. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938371

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

Any suggestions or workarounds? This is a critical update pre-SP1, so I'd like to install it at some point. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Reb1313

Reb1313

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:39 AM

did you try reinstalling the mouse drivers after windows update? look for updated mouse drivers?

#3 USAFPhoenix

USAFPhoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:06 AM

This my mouse:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/428/958&cl=us,en

And according to that page, "This device uses the native drivers when used with Microsoft Vista™."

So, I'm not sure what to do.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:20 AM

Do you have an old spare mouse if so remove the logitech install the update and reinstall the Logitech.

Edited by Monty007, 09 April 2008 - 07:28 AM.

MCP
MSDST

#5 USAFPhoenix

USAFPhoenix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:08 AM

Do you have an old spare mouse if so remove the logitech install the update and reinstall the Logitech.

I tried that already. The computer won't recognize the mouse when I do that. This is really irritating, I wish I knew why this was happening.

#6 mateojack100

mateojack100

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:30 PM

if you havent changed the restore settings thre should a restore point that you can put your computer back to, right up to b4 u updated. I did it last night and now its all good.

#7 The Larry

The Larry

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:36 AM

I tried that already. The computer won't recognize the mouse when I do that. This is really irritating, I wish I knew why this was happening.

Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same problem on one of my machines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users