Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Charter Communications

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 katouriann

katouriann

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:14 PM

My friend has Charter for her ISP. She cannot use outlook express. They just told her it wouldn't work after trying to set her outlook up.

I ran into this problem a few months ago with another friend in the U.K. She had sky.com and could not use outlook express either. After much searching I found that Sky.com used the same interface as Google. To fix the problem, all she had to do was change her sky.com address to a g-mail address and it works perfectly. Seems there was a conflict with sky.com and the google interface. Could this be the same thing with Charter? If so, what would the solution be?

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

margiedogholdingshoe2.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:08 AM

She could probably do it herself. Have her follow the steps here:

Charter Settings For Outlook Express

#3 katouriann

katouriann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

That has been tried and it won't work. There is a conflict there and I cannot figure out what it is.

#4 katouriann

katouriann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:23 PM

Sorry, I found it here

Edited by katouriann, 09 April 2008 - 07:28 PM.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:30 PM

Up at the top of the screen on the same line as your logged in name is a link to 'My Topics' which will give you a listing and link to all your posts. That will help you find them in the future.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:38 PM

Has she tried a different email client such as Thunderbird or Outlook?

#7 katouriann

katouriann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:38 PM

She wants outlook express. It should work.

#8 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:19 PM

No problem. I am presuming she can log in to her email directly at the Charter website. If that is the case, have her recheck her email settings in OE, have her try to check for email & see if any errors pop up. That will help with the troubleshooting. If she cannot log in at the website, then she would have to call Charter & tell them so that they can see if it's a problem from their end. BTW: I'm not exactly sure why they would have told her OE does not work. I've never had any problems with OE & Charter. If there is a conflict with her Charter account & OE, they should give her more details about it as opposed to "it won't work" (I'm using the info you provided in the original post).

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:45 PM

Follow hillbillygreek's suggestion to check the settings. Spacing, spelling, .net instead of .com-check EVERYTHING carefully. If the situation still persists, tell her call Charter again. She may get someone who can help her get it set up and working-sometimes a different tech can resolve issues.
If there is no resolution after that, does your friend get any error messages? If so, please post the entire message and any error numbers.
Better yet, tell your friend to set up an account here at Bleeping Computer, and make the post herself. We're here to help and will do our best to work with her to get the problem fixed.

#10 katouriann

katouriann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:00 AM

Will you please tell me exactly how your outlook express is set up if you have Charter? I have done some research on it and I have to opposite answers.

#11 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:38 PM

Click here: Cherter Settings for OE. That's is the way to set it up; it's the directions at the Charter website. It has screenshots as a visual. This link was in the first post I made in this thread.

I have done some research on it and I have to opposite answers.

OK. No Problem. Feel free to post them here (without any personal email information,please).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users