Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Balders Gate 2

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chocabout

chocabout

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:18 PM

I have Balders Gate 2 installed on my computer,but when I start to play it the game crashes!.This error comes up on the desktop "An Assertion failed in ChVidImage3d.cpp at line number 1957".Does this have anything to do with the config settings for the game?.

The other problem with this game is more serious,it affects my whole system,when doing a full virus scan with spyware doctor the whole screen is frozen when it hits this file path "C/:Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Black Isle\BGII-SoABonusCd\Bonus Cd.Ink".

Should I just remove the game?,because I reinstalled it but the same two problems happened?.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:17 AM

chocabout,

I found these:
Here's a link (abit old 2005 but may help) about missing or corrupted file: "An Assertion failed in ChVidImage3d.cpp at line number 1957"
http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=154076

Another Link (circa 2004 but may help)
Baldur's Gate Troubleshooting FAQS
http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=305.0

On the issue of spyware doctor freezing on
C/:Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Black Isle\BGII-SoABonusCd\Bonus Cd.Ink" : have you tried scanning in safe mode? Have you tried scanning with another scanner and do you get the same result or is the freeze only with Spyware Doctor? Does the scan eventually continue or do you have to intervene?

You indicated you have reinstalled Baldur's Gate 2 without success - when you have uninstalled it, did you run a full scan in safe mode before reinstalling? What were the results?

tork

#3 chocabout

chocabout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:05 AM

Hi Tork

I did a full scan in safe mode with spyware doctor,ad adware and windows defender no infections were found.

I reinstalled the game plus added the latest patch,then I only added the second last save game to saves game folder.

The two links were very helpful,they said something about a possible corrupted save game that is in save game folder 7,so I deleted it.

I will run a full scan agai,to see if it crashes my computer again,plus I have to check the save game will have no more problems.I will post another reply when I have tried those two things to tell you the results.

#4 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:57 AM

Hi chocabout,

sounds like you're making progress

:thumbsup: tork

#5 chocabout

chocabout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:30 AM

Hi Tork

I tried all my saves and the same assertion error keeps crashing the game when you check their inventory.I think the game itself is stuffed, because I started a new game and it still crashed!.I will download the latest beta patch for the game,I just hope that will work.

I ran a full spyware doctor scan with balders gate 2 installed,it scaned right through with no crashing. :thumbsup:

On the first link you posted they said the disks could be the problem,so I might just have to give up on the game. :flowers:

#6 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:02 AM

chocabout,

What's your OS? There are two versions of disks out there for Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn.
First set of disks the platforms are Windows 98 / Me / 95 only (sold at amazon among other places if you decide to replace the game)
Are you trying to load this game on a Windows XP system? Hence the compatibility problem.

The second set of disks - found a four disk set collection of Baldur's Gate 2 which includes Shadows of Amn - this collections supports Windows platforms 98 / Me / 95 / 2000 / XP (sold at amazon among other places if you decide to replace the game)

Looks like you've gotten a buy option if it turns out the disks are the problem.

Have you tried installing the game on another computer to verify one way or the other whether the problem is the disks - making sure of the disk compatibility with the operating system?

tork

#7 chocabout

chocabout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:26 PM

Hi Tork

I am using Windows Xp,the pack is the "Balder's Gate 2 The Collection" for windows 95/98/2000/Cd-Rom.

I have tried setting up the game to run on windows 98 through system tools program Compatibility Wizard,it still crashed.Maybe I should try and run it for windows 2000?.

I will install the game on my cousin computer plus my save game to see if the disks are the problem.

I could play the game perfect with my His Radeon X850 Pro,but when I upgraded to GeForce 8600 GTS that is when I started getting problems.Even Planescape Torment keeps crashing since I upgraded my system to a Intel Core2 duo,I don't think old games are compatible with my upgraded system?.

Chocabout

#8 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:08 PM

Chocabout,

Suggest you do the install sequentially on your cousin's machine. First , do an install without any saved games - does it work? Then add your saved games and see if its a corrupt saved game that crashes.

tork

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users