Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Printer And File Sharing Between Vista And Xp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 binx1310

binx1310

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

Basically what i want to do is set up printer and file sharing between an XP Pro desktop and a vista laptop.

Bit of background:
At home I have an xp home desktop cable networked to a wireless router and cabled to a printer. I wanted to set up my mums laptop to share the printer. What i did was share the printer on the desktop. Then installed the drivers on the vista laptop, searched for the printer in 'add printer' and hey presto was done all working printing via wireless.

What i need help with:
At uni I have an XP Pro desktop computer with a printer attached. What i would like to do is share the printer so my house mate can print wirelessly from his vista laptop. My desktop is connected to the wireless network as is the laptop. I tried to do what i did at home but to no avail. The vista laptop doesnt seem to be able to see the desktop. I have played about for ages but cant seem to get my head around vista!

I have zone alarm firewall and the vista laptop has norton 360 installed and the router is a sky-netgear DG834GT.

What i would love is someone to tell me in a relatively simple step by step guide how to do it. Also would like to share my external hard drive between the laptop and desktop too.

Any help will be greatfully recieved!!

Cheers

Will

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:00 AM

Hi,
I had a similar problem when I bought a laptop with Vista.
I got mine working with help from Tomo2.
The thread is here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/126483/adding-a-network-printer/
Have a read and see if this helps.

I did it on XP Home and Vista basic.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#3 binx1310

binx1310
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:02 AM

hi, its working now, had to set up a user account on the xp computer with the same username and password as the vista one. Just having problems installing the drivers on the vista one now.
thanks for your help
will

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users