Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Setting Up A Wireless System In The Home

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ipray4u2000

ipray4u2000

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:47 PM

Hi there.... yes, it is I, yet again with another router problem... for a friend this time. He has a MAC computer... my first problem.... I know nothing about MAC's.... He has a Zyxel p 600 series modem... probably Russian since we are in Ukraine and the router he is wanting to use is a Netgear wireless G WGR614 v. 9 (My brain is fried after working all day on computer problems.... if you have questions please ask!)

In my search on the web I came across this article http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/netgear-wg...7-21218238.html , if you read the paragraph that begins with "Unfortunately" I think it is saying there are problems with MACs not identifiying an IP address... or it's hidden...or... you should read it for yourself! I am not sure if I understand in plain English what the problem is..... or how or if we can get around it.

Any suggestions or translation of the above paragraph I refered to into plain and understandable English would be greatly appreciated! Please be kind... my profession is nursing, but I seem to have the best understanding of computers amoung the English speakers around here..... Thanks so much for all your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

Well my friend the MAC that they are talking about in the article is way different then the Apple MAC computers.

The MAC they are talking about are MAC addresses , MAC stands for Media Access Control , a MAC address is a hexadecimal number given uniquly to network cards, in the article they are talking about a problem in MAC address cloning wish means that the wireless router can't for some reason get the MAC address of the netowrk device connected to it and it has nothing to do with Apple MAC computers.

i hope this clarified the issue for you a bit.

don't hesitate to ask for any unclear issue.

regards.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#3 Kendy

Kendy

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:17 PM

i think in your router mac is like wassim saying, for example from router it show this
Name IP Address MAC Address
Kendy 192.168.0.169 00-E0-4C-A2-A9-B3

Name = computer's user name
MAC address = Identity card number
it can be explain like this way.
This is because we may have same computer's name in one network but different computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users