Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB flash or quickdrive key chain devices

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Controller

Controller

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:28 PM

When I insert my USB flash drive in to PC the UPDATING WINDOWS HARWARE INFORMATION DATABASE dialogue box comes up BUT hangs at 0 percent. If I ctrl alt delete to end task on it, the PC freezes up and has to be rebooted.

Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it? I have Windows ME.

I have a similar problem when downloading Windows Updates. They take about an hour to download and install and according to my Norton Utilities program it uses 95-100% of system resources.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,392 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:53 AM

Have you tried your flash drive on another computer and does it work?

#3 myzr

myzr

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 08:39 AM

Yes I had problems installing my usb mini drive from omega.. I am using win me on an old amd k6 500.. win me is not usb friendly to say the least. Do you have any other peripherals hooked to usb? I had to add drivers and such to get my drive to work. a good place to find usb info and drivers is at usbman.com. as to why your pc hangs now that is a tough one. when you go to add hardware in the control panel. windows should search for your flash drive? anyways keep trying and post back to let us know if you have had any success.. good luck and happy easter
lm 10730

#4 Controller

Controller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:19 PM

I found the problem! Windows ME does not delete OEM*.inf files it temporarily creates when it installs software. Too many OEM*.inf files with 0 KB size will prevent Windows installer from working.

You have to unhide your system files first. Then search for your INF folder. Open it and sort by size. Click on the first OEM*.inf file with zero KB then hold your shift key and click on the last one with 0 KB. Make sure they are ALL 0 kb in size. then hit the delete key. I had 32,000 files with 0 kb size. It took five hours to delete them all.

My USB keychain flash drive installed quickly after doing this. AND I can now download Windows updates again.

There is a Microsoft bulletin on this. Don't know the number but search on Computer Crashes or Computer freezes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users