Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Interchange Accer Harddrive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:53 AM

Hi,
The motherboard in my Accer Aspire 5100 died so I'm probably going to buy an Accer Aspire 3050 because of the cost. My 5100 has a 120 Gig harddrive while the new 3050 only has 60 Gig.

Question is: will my 120 fit in the 3050? The Computer store told me "No because the 5100 hard drive has an IDE connection, where as the Aspire 3050 Hard drive has a SATA connection"; and I'm not sure I believe him.
Thanks in advance.

Edited by Clydesdale™, 08 April 2008 - 09:58 AM.

Clydesdale™

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Samsbc12

Samsbc12

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:10 AM

IDE will not fit into SATA thats for sure, but chances are the new computer has an IDE connection where you could put the harddrive. I would have to look up the motherboard specs to confirm this though.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:31 AM

In any case...you could always just buy an enclosure and connect your old drive via USB, having access to more storage and all your old files easily.

Of course, you need to buy an enclosure accommodating 2.5-inch IDE drives...there are a ton of them.

The problems with moving a boot drive from one system to another (as a boot drive)...still remain, whether laptop or desktop, so I would not recommend your original inclination.

Chances are that's an OEM version of Windows installed, which is not moveable legally to a different system.

Louis

#4 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:41 AM

Sounds good, thanks for the honest info; much appreciated. :thumbsup:
Clydesdale™

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:53 PM

Easily done :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:35 AM

The problem that hamluis was referring to with moving the hdd from one computer to another is important. Each motherboard has a chipset which has its own plug-n-play IDs which the registry recognizes. When you take a hdd with Windows installed from one computer and install it in another the registry will see the IDs of the new chipset and become confused. This usually will render the OS inoperable and require a clean installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:15 AM

www.newegg.com carries a brand of enclosure called Masscool that will work with IDE or SATA laptop drives. That comes in handy for me
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users