Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where Does Malware/spyware Come From? Why Can't These Websites Be Shut Down?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 freebirdx

freebirdx

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:37 AM

I'm just wondering how these Malware/Foistware websites can operate, like SpySheriff or others?

To make the scam work, they need to be able to collect money from people who have to pay these phony rouge spyware vendors.

Can't the authorities shut down these pirates?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:31 AM

They work because people give them money. If people would stop giving them money, they'd go elsewhere.

As for the authorities, there's so much going on that it's difficult to catch and prosecute these people over international boundaries - even if the authorities do think that it's worth the time to go after them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:07 AM

Fierce competition among identity thieves has driven the prices for stolen data down to bargain-basement levels, which has forced crooks to adopt mainstream business tactics to lure customers, according to a new report on Internet security threats.

Credit card numbers were selling for as little as 40 cents each and access to a bank account was going for $10 in the second half of 2007, according to the latest twice-yearly Internet Security Threat Report from Symantec Corp., to be released today.

The Cupertino software company detected 711,912 new threats last year, 468 percent more than in 2006, when it found 125,243 - and almost two-thirds of all 1,122,311 that Symantec has cataloged since 2002.

The data are usually sold through instant-message groups or Web forums that exist for only a few days or even hours, according to Symantec, and the hacking community exacts harsh consequences when members try to pass along fraudulent information.

Above quote taken from todays San Francisco Chronicle, and an article titled Thieves of identity data offering sales discounts written by Jordan Robertson, Associated Press

Follow the link for more information.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Garric

Garric

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:12 PM

40 cents for a credit card number? wow....

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the &quot;Logic Free Zone&quot;, in Md, USA
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:32 PM

Prices are cheap because they sell such 1,000 or more times.
And the fraud index watch may well kick in almost immediately.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users