Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How + What To Configure Firewall To Make My System More Secure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 harmless

harmless

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:24 AM

Hi,

Let's say I need to use Internet very often for sensitive transactions (like Internet banking, online purchase which requires entering credit card number etc) on a PUBLIC NETWORK (unavoidable) which everyone can access.

Q1. HOW would performing transactions over unsecured network make my computer less secure?

Q2. Can people on the same unsecured public network (no encryption) easily gain access to my computer and steal my info etc?

I would not allow any chances of my personal info being stolen so

Q3. What is the TIGHTEST settings I can make on my firewall when I am connected to a unsecured public network with no encryption? (e.g. put it to stealth mode, deny all incoming traffic, defining my IP to be the only trusted network etc)

I am also using Orbit Downloader and understand it uses P2P connection to accelerate download.

Q4. Does P2P makes my computer less secure and more vulnerable? Is Orbit Downloader totally clean? Can I use P2P service and block all incoming traffic at the same time?

I am no expert in configuring firewall and hope I could get help here to make my system more secure. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bartster

Bartster

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:41 PM

Always make sure you are connected to a secure network (look for lock icon in address bar) before entering any sensitive information, (credit card, bank, social security, etc.) and even then, make sure it is a known and trusted site.

I would use the default settings for your firewall. Setting them too high can cause problems.

I personally would avoid P2P sites, they are a well known path for malware infections.

Orbit Downloader seems to be ok, don't know much about it, though.

#3 harmless

harmless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:48 AM

Thanks barter, for replying.

When I am performing sensitive transactions, I always make sure there is a lock icon on my address bar which means any data transmitted between my browser and the website is encrypted. However, I am always on the go with my notebook and will be connecting my notebook to any public wireless network that I have access to (e.g. public libraries, airports, shopping malls etc) and I might need to perform sensitive transactions quite often on the go which is why I am concerned about the security of public wireless network which everyone has access to. Are there any settings I can make to my firewall? or just go with the recommended settings? Probably some experts in firewall can advise? Well, I would appreciate any suggestions!

#4 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:42 AM

Hi,

those above steps are already good suggestions. There is no 100% safety. A lot is done from own behaviour rather than from software used. Please have a look at the "Safe-Hex" link provided in my signature for some more details, along with the following:regards,

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users