Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating An External Backup Drive For My Xp Pc

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:24 AM

First off, I apologize if I selected the wrong sub-forum to post this question in, but I really couldn't decide for sure which one might be the most appropriate.

I have an HP Pavilion desktop with Windows XP Home SP2. I am interested in learning more about the procedure of backing up my system to an external drive in case of computer failure. I know so little about this (in fact, not one thing), that I don't even know where to begin, or how to make an intelligent selection of hardware. I have come here seeking advice on recommended reading material, recommended external drives, and where I could purchase one, and any other advice that might be helpful to me. I have had this PC for a few years now. The time spent "tweaking" it to just the way I like it (the hundreds and hundreds of options, setting up Firefox the way I want, etc.) are more hours than I can count. My goal, if it is possible, is to have the peace of mind that if this PC ever fails, I can have it repaired, or even replaced, and then be able to make it just like this one. And, of course, all of my important data, too.

Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Samsbc12

Samsbc12

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:59 AM

I would recommend starting at http://newegg.com they have a good choice of external hard drives. I would probably go with a western digital used them for years many models never had a problem. Look at the starts and the number of people that bought that model. I mean one thats been bought 500 times with 5 stars probably is a safe bet, if you don't understand the technical aspect. With the prices in hard drives I might recommend a 500GB hard drive as that seems to be were the pivot point in prices are, but at the very least make sure your external is at least as big as the computer you are trying to back up.

From what you are describing you want to make a disk image an exact copy of the computer in its current state.

Some paid software to do this would be Norton ghost.
Some free software would be Clonezilla.
As well as many others that could be found with a simple Google search.

Hope this is a starting point feel free to PM me if you need more help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users