Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Problem Checking System Files & Etc.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Indigoblue47

Indigoblue47

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:35 AM

I'm on the road to recovery from a Vundo/Cryp_Tap2 infection and I am mostly sorted except:
When I run sfc /scannow I get a message saying that I have to have the XP install disc, as you said.
The problem is, the system wants my SP2 disc...
This system had XP Pro originally, which I upgraded via download to SP2, so I don't HAVE an SP2 disc. I have tried making a disc by integrating SP2 to the original disc but it still wont accept it.
Is there a switch I can use with sfc to allow me to use the SP2 disc??
Also, Microsoft Office seems to have lost some functionality. I can't access my contacts in Outlook without having Outlook bonk and want to restart.
As an added attraction, some of my files don't associate with the proper icons anymore, most notably .pdf files.
Thoughts/suggestions?
Indigo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:42 AM

Use the tip on this page ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=368666 ) Start where it says "To fix the problem when you only have a restore CD..."

You'll copy your i386 directory from the slipstreamed CD to the root of your C: drive (ie C:\i386), then you'll modify the registry to point to this as the "Source" using the directions on the above page.

FWIW - I tried to copy it to C:\Windows on a eMachines yesterday, and I found a copy there already. Copying it to C:\ and modifying the registry allowed me to successfully finish the SFC.EXE /SCANNOW command.

Finally, the above command will only replace corrupted/changed system files. I'd suggest a visit to Windows Update as soon as you're done. And, if the problem doesn't exist in the protected system files, then you'll have to proceed with further troubleshooting.

The reason that I mention this is that it can take a long while to fix all this stuff - so you may want to consider trying a repair install of XP. This will leave your programs and data intact, and will "re-initialize" the XP operating system. 2 drawbacks to this are:
1) if the problem doesn't exist in the areas that a repair install fixes - if so, you'll still have the problems.
2) there's about 100 Windows Updates that you'll have to sit through in order to bring the system back up to date.

If you're interested in the repair install, and you have IE7 installed, read this link first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964
Then, here's the link to the repair install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Indigoblue47

Indigoblue47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:13 PM

Yeah, I'm still having problems with this.
BTW, this all started while I was cleaning up after Vundo removal efforts- what I was trying to do was to shut down System Restore so as to get rid of any possibly corrupted restore points. When I went to My Computer / Properties and selected the Sysytem restore tab I got a RUNDLL error.
Stelios on the Virus & Malware Forus had been helping me with this.
I have a slipstreamed copy of XP that has the updates up unitl early March 2008 integrated into it.
FYI I used this method to create the slipstream:
http://downloads.techrepublic.com.com/down...amp;tag=nl.e101
So, this is the I386 directory that I moved to C:\ & etc.
sfc's reaction was exactly the same as before.
I aslo have a slipstream of XP + SP2, period. I understand about having to get all the subsequent updates, but it sure would be fine if I could use the more up-to-date slipstream.
Apart from the troubling aspect of having some file associations messed up and losing various bits of MS Office functionality, I sure would like to get System restore working again- it's saved my bacon more than once...
Indi

#4 Indigoblue47

Indigoblue47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:39 AM

Interesting... I tried renaming the target folder from "I386" to "i386" (NTFS is case sensitive to filespecs???).
I noticed that if I kept pecking away at the retry button when the disk was asked for, the progress bar would creep along bit by bit. It reached a point where it just continued without stopping...
Let's see what happens...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users