Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Shut Down

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rizqe

rizqe

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:34 AM

Hello,

As described, Firefox shuts down when I try to download something off the internet. It began just recently. I've already disabled add ons, but nothing's changed. Firefox just shuts down without any error messages. I tried IE, and downloading works fine with it. But I'd rather not use that because it's a little too heavy for me.

Here are my specs:
Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Dell Inspiron MXC061
Genuine Intel® CPU
T2300 @ 1.66GHz
0.99GB of RAM

I'd appreciate any help I can get! Please tell me if there's any other information I need to give.

(^^)v

UPDATE:
Now I can't open Gmail with Firefox. T_T It just shows a blank screen with "Loading..." on the upper left corner.

Edited by rizqe, 08 April 2008 - 01:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:39 AM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time FireFox shuts down.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories (Application, Security, System and Internet Explorer).

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer

Another thing you could do is to reinstall Fire Fox:

1) Download a fresh copy of Firefox and save it.
2) Save your bookmarks by exporting them using the Bookmark Manager menu.
3) Uninstall Firefox Using Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.
4) Delete the Firefox directory under Mozilla in the Program Files directory.
5) Delete the Firefox directory under the Application Data directory in your user profile.
6) Reinstall Firefox using the download from Step 1.
7) Use the Bookmark Manager menu to import the bookmarks you saved in Step 2.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 rizqe

rizqe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:45 AM

Hi, Budapest!

Thank you so much for helping me with this.

It worked!!! :thumbsup: I uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox, and it's working fine so far.

Just in case you still need these, these are 2 error messages that I think are related to the Firefox problem:
Application Error
Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.8.20080.31114, faulting module nss3.dll, version 3.11.5.0, fault address 0x000306df.

Service Control Manager
The USBest Service Zero service failed to start due to the following error:
USBest Service Zero is not a valid Win32 application.

Thank you thank you!

#4 rizqe

rizqe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:32 AM

Hello once again,

I've encountered the shutdown problem once again today. This time, when I tried downloading using Internet Explorer, it shut down, too.

When the shut down happened with Firefox, I uninstalled and reinstalled it. But it still happened.

These are the errors on the Event Viewer under APPLICATION:

Faulting application firefox.exe, version 1.8.20080.31114, faulting module mpegsplitter.ax, version 1.0.0.5, fault address 0x000249eb.

The above error came out 3 times. I guess this is the Firefox shutdown.

Fault bucket 699848068.

Error under SYSTEM:

The USBest Service Zero service failed to start due to the following error:
USBest Service Zero is not a valid Win32 application.

I'm not sure if this is related to the browser shut downs.

Thank you once again!

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:25 PM

The problem seems to be caused by mpegsplitter. I would try uninstalling this software and see if that helps.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 rizqe

rizqe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:39 AM

I couldn't find mpegsplitter to uninstall; however, I found it in the K-lite Codecs folder. I uninstalled that, and it now works fine so far.

Thanks so much for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users