Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu Pop Up Continuously

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ashokjena

Ashokjena

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:55 PM

Hi Forumers,

Recently I encounter this problem in my home laptop ( Compaq Presario ) , when i boot up windows , the start menu pop up & close continuously stopping me to do anything.
It stops when i press & hold the window button/function key ( the one with window symbol near to "alt" button). Also some of the keys behave strangely when i type them. For example if i wanted to type www.bleepingcomputer.com , when i hit "e" or "r" it pops either search window or an explorer window. Sometimes a magnifier window & many more strange window for other key also. Basically it behaves like a mad cow. Please help me to fix it. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:01 AM

It may be that some of the keys are sticking and it might be time to give the keyboard a clean.

Cleaning Laptop Keyboard
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Ashokjena

Ashokjena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:08 AM

Thanks Budapest for the reply. Initially I thought that could be the reason. Since my laptop is already 5 years old, could be the key touching to the PCB got fungous. Well I will try to clean this. If the problem still persist I will back to forum again to post further. Any special liquid do I need to buy to clean the keypad ??

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:14 AM

You can follow the guide in the link I gave in my previous post, but first I would try blowing out under the keys with a can of compressed air - much quicker and easier than removing each key individually.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Ashokjena

Ashokjena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:18 AM

Hmm..any special way to perform ?? Can a hair blower do the job ??

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:29 AM

You could try a hair dryer but I don't think it would work very well, and I'd be worried that static electricity might damage the computer. Best to go out and purchase a can of compressed air if possible.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Samsbc12

Samsbc12

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:27 AM

Canned air is not extremely expensive. Make sure you do not tip the can upside down though as it will shoot liquid and not air. And make sure you do not get it on yourself could cause frostbite. If the can was upside down.

#8 Ashokjena

Ashokjena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:09 AM

Cleaning the key is of no use. After clean the key also the same result. I suspect it got spyware or virus which is playing hide & seek with me. I have scanned the whole coputer using norton AV. Also install lavasoft Ad -ware SE Professional , but found nothing. Since i left the notebook always online with internet, the potential virus attack has cause this problem. Please advice. I am not a normal user, in fact I am a core UNIX admin. Since we have no virus issue in unix, i have never sync. myself with the latest virus threat in windows environment. Please suggest what to do next ?

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

If you think your computer may be infected you could try some online virus scans:

Trend Micro HouseCall
BitDefender Online Scanner
F-Secure Online Virus Scanner

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users