Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Vs. Notebook

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tincookie

tincookie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:54 PM

I am considering trading in my tower case system for a laptop. Everything you can do with a tower, you can do with a laptop, correct? What is are the main differences between laptop and notebook computers? Can laptop & notebook computers carry soundcards? Both can be used to design websites? can you use a mouse with both? Can you run cable modems on either?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:02 PM

Labtops and desktop are almost exactly the same except that labtops have much less power in terms of processing and video power, typically, and they're practically un-upgradable.

Unless you need to move your computer a lot, I would stick with a desktop. They have so much more power, and are quite upgradable.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

Hi Tincookie, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

As Vaerli has mentioned there are power and space limitation involved with laptops. Because of the limited power they try to reduce the amount of power used. This results in the use of slower hard drives and other component as they draw less power which compromise the performance. The convenience of being able to carry the laptop has the trade off of not being able to add other components, like having two DVDs or CDs to read from one and burn to the other saving time. Having room to have two or more hdds, you are going to be hard pressed to set up a RAID configuration with a laptop. And then there is that power issue again. You will always have to be considerate of how much of a charge you have in your battery.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:58 AM

At work I recommend laptops to people who aren't going to upgrade their PC for a long time.

If you've had a desktop for 3 or 4 years and haven't been inside the case, a laptop is probably for you. Couple it with a wireless router and it's more useful than a desktop for most people (who mainly check email and surf the web).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 fred333

fred333

• Banned
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:26 AM

I would go with a laptop. Very portable.

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:47 PM

Id take a desktop but it all depends on what your doing.

In my LAN tornament quite a few people come from a little ways so they decided to get them sekfs a laptop and use that becuase its so much more powerful.

But ive seen a bid difference in their gaming performance. Example, my friend pl0xB0rg# Got a laptop for the portability and he usally averages aroung 40 kills and 6 deaths in our COD4 rounds.

Booted his laptop abd he reversed that 6kills and 40 deaths.

Laptops are really not that powerful in terms of gaming. It all depends on what you want.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#7 GaryT85

GaryT85

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:07 AM

In my LAN tornament quite a few people come from a little ways so they decided to get them sekfs a laptop and use that becuase its so much more powerful.

But ive seen a bid difference in their gaming performance. Example, my friend pl0xB0rg# Got a laptop for the portability and he usally averages aroung 40 kills and 6 deaths in our COD4 rounds.

Booted his laptop abd he reversed that 6kills and 40 deaths.

im not too sure that from a technical standpoint someone's kill/death ratio is very useful..

#8 FadeToBright

FadeToBright

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:18 PM

Laptops: Great for mobility, no so much hard core gaming/CPU intense programs.
Desktops: Used as a "power house"

I do however, have a powerful gaming desktop and a decent laptop(Dell XPS m1330: Intel Core 2 Duo T5450, 2.5gb of PC2 5400, nVidia 8400GS M 128mb, 120gb 5400RPM SATA hard drive, 13.3 inch Wide Screen WXGA TL CCFL Backlit LCD with 2.0MP Camera.

It runs everything pretty decent. Handles loads of applications at a time & still has great battery life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users