Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Welcome Page/log On

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dormouse

Dormouse

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:41 PM

Until yesterday, I pressed the button on the front of my computer, waited patiently and up popped my desktop - simple!

Then a windows update occured.

When I turned the machine on again I got a silly welcome screen that required me to click a button before the machine would boot. :flowers:

I went into user accounts and found I could get rid of that- :thumbsup: but when I started up today it now has a password box which I know I don't need a password for but I still have to click OK. :trumpet: :inlove:

How can I get rid of it altogether? Or should I just do a roll back to a time before that darn update changed my settings?

Any help much appreciated.

Dormouse

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:47 PM

Hello, Dormouse, :thumbsup: to BleepingComputer.com!

Sorry, have to ask:

Have you tried a blank password?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

Did the update have to do with Microsoft.NET?

Louis

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:37 PM

This may be what you are looking for Automatic login
Regards,

Alan.

#5 Dormouse

Dormouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:22 PM

Thanks to all!

Billy - I had no password so it was blank, I just didn't want to have to click a button! Thanks for the welcome. :flowers:

Hamluis - No idea! I only know about the updates when I go to shut down and it tells me I can't turn the machine off until it has finished.

Niggles: That did the trick! :thumbsup: Bit confusing on what value to enter for the default password but I got round it by creating a password in User Accounts; something I did NOT want to do but it solved the problem so I guess I'll live with it. Thank you very much for your time and trouble. If you know another one which tells you how get rid of the silly logos that'd be good too; can't see MS letting that one out though!:trumpet:

Dormouse

#6 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:35 PM

What silly logos?

Billy3

Oh, I wanted to ensure you could get into windows before turning on autologon ;)

Billy3

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 07 April 2008 - 04:36 PM.

Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:20 PM

No problem, glad it worked, Also the system is just that little bit more secure now you have a password.

Slightly of topic, but what silly logos do you mean?
Regards,

Alan.

#8 Dormouse

Dormouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:39 PM

Not main start up and shut down ones, just the little ones that appear above the shutdown box and another that pops up somewhere at the beginning - says Windows XP Home Edition it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users