Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Internet Security

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Munchkin25

Munchkin25

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:51 PM

My parents are not really computer savvy and lot of the programs on here used to remove spyware and such might be complicated for them. As a gift to them (and me also if I get a laptop), I've been looking at AVG Internet Security. I have Windows XP home edition and an 80 GB hard drive (recently upgraded after crash) and 256 MB memory (from looking at the Gateway paperwork). Since I'm going to college and we plan on using technology to keep in touch, I won't be home often to help their computer problems.

I was hoping to buy a program, such as this, that intergrates everything together so they don't get frustrated by the numerous programs they have to run to get rid viruses, spy-ware, adware, etc. My parents have used the free version of AVG Anti-virus program and find it user-friendly to them (which is saying a lot because we are still working on Microsoft Word 2003, such as using the commands and certain tools. I hate to see them at the hands of Microsoft Word 2007 since I've finally seen the layout).

So any pros and cons of the program I should know about? Is it like Pine-Sol, leaving a freshness of clean after a malicious program goes rampant on the computer? Or if anyone has it, how do they rate the program? Thanks for your feedback! :thumbsup:
John Munch: You still think Big Brother isn't watching us?

Munch: What if I fail and all our dreams crash and burn?
Bayliss: It's very simple then. Meldrich and I will harm you.

The heart has reasons which reason knows nothing of.

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to no car insurance. -Stephen Colbert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

Here's a link it's a bit old but usefull: http://www.pcworld.com/article/124475-1/article.html . Search PCWorld for more charts, I can't find the one I'm looking for but here's one newer version http://www.pcworld.com/article/125857-1/article.html http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,140127/article.html Anti-spyware http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136206/article.html . THERE'S ALOT OF MIXED UP REVIEWS OF ANTI-... PROGRAMS BUT NOT ONE CAN DETECT ALL OR EVEN HALF THE AMOUNT OF VIRUSES THERE IS ON THE INTERNET. GET PROGRAMS LIKE SITE ADVISOR: http://www.siteadvisor.com/download/ie.html AND wot http://www.mywot.com/en/download/ie TRY OTHER SECURITY METHODS LIKE THE PINNED ONES ABOVE ;) sorry I had Caplocks on :thumbsup:

#3 Alan D

Alan D

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:16 AM

I've used the AVG 7.5 Internet Security suite almost from the day it was released about 18 months ago, and I've been very happy with it. However, this may not be the best time to start using it. A new version AVG 8 has recently been released, but there have been problems with it that they're still in the process of fixing. Because of this, I'm continuing to use the 7.5 version (which is still available and supported) and will continue to do so until I feel confident about AVG 8. If I were in your position I'd find it awkward to decide which to choose, just at this moment.
Windows XP Home SP2; AVG 7.5 Internet Security Suite (AV/AS r.t.p, and firewall); Windows Defender (r.t.p on); SuperAntispyware Free; a-squared Free 3.5.0.15; Spybot 1.4 (Immunised, but no Tea-timer); AdAware SE Free; AVG Anti-Rootkit Free; Spywareblaster; MVPS Hosts file (with HostsMan); McAfee Site Advisor.

#4 Munchkin25

Munchkin25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:47 PM

Thanks guys! You have been most helpful. :thumbsup:

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to no car insurance. -Stephen Colbert

#5 charliejr

charliejr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:34 PM

I used AVG for several years after learning the hard way what a joke Norton & MacAfee were. Last year I noticed the scan times were taking longer and longer so I contacted a friend in the computer repair business. He uses Trend Micro (PC-cillin) Internet Security and swears by it. I bought it last fall and now use it on my new desktop with Vista and my Sony laptop with XP. In nine months I have not had any malfunctions and it is quite a bit faster on the scan time. There is nothing wrong with AVG, just the improved speed with Trend Micro.

#6 Munchkin25

Munchkin25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:05 PM

I used AVG for several years after learning the hard way what a joke Norton & MacAfee were. Last year I noticed the scan times were taking longer and longer so I contacted a friend in the computer repair business. He uses Trend Micro (PC-cillin) Internet Security and swears by it. I bought it last fall and now use it on my new desktop with Vista and my Sony laptop with XP. In nine months I have not had any malfunctions and it is quite a bit faster on the scan time. There is nothing wrong with AVG, just the improved speed with Trend Micro.

Do you know how much it costs, Charliejr? Is it around the same range as AVG Internet Security?

#7 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:01 PM

A different approach - since you'll be the go-to-person to solve any computer problems on your parents computer - think about installing the same software on both your new laptop and the parent's computer. It can make long distance troubleshooting easier if you are both using the exact same software. Security suites - in my opinion are not the end all thing - free firewall, free antivirus software and free spyware can be a "better suite" and if you keep it the same on both computers you'll have less of a learning curve troubleshooting. There are several threads in this forum category listing what people recommend and/or use as their free built security.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/140111/best-protection/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users