Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I/o Error On Initializing A 10 Gb Scsi.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:30 PM

Hi,

I have a 10 GB SCSI that has been plaguing me for some time now. It doesn't seem to want to be initialized into my PC. It did this on my old PC and now it is doing it again on my new PC.

When my PC goes to initialize it this error keeps popping up:

The hard drive can not be initialized because of an I/O error.

I'm not sure what it means?

The PC is brand new, so is the cable.

The SCSI card and SCSI HD are old.

Does anyone have a little more knowledge on this that could help me out?

Greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

John :thumbsup:
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:48 PM

Input/output errors, IMO, simply mean that the drive is not working as the O/S thinks it should.

Something is going wrong, for an indeterminate reason.

First thing I find that I should check: power supply connections and motherboard connections for the drive in question. I seem to be really guilty of not ensuring that there are no bent pins and that the connecting cables are properly seated on the connectors

Second thing: I would run chkdsk /r on the drive. If that was unable to run successfully, I would then download/run a manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive, long test.

Event Viewer is pretty good of advising users when a drive has problems. I would check the System tab carefully, looking for any indications of a problem with any drive/disk.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

I've no experience with SCSI drives but, IMO, they have the same weaknesses all drives do...it could be the controller, it could be the cables, it could be the drive. I would just try to eliminate them, one by one.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users