Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Space Has Dissappeared!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:00 PM

Hi.
I have a dell Inspiron 6400, 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD.
For some reason, there seems to be no space left on my hard drive. I Defrag Weekly, Clean Registry, Use Disk Clean-Up, Back up files onto an external hard drive, but the seems to be no space. Its not the System Resore, as it is set to the absolute minium. Its not programs.
Does anyone know what it might be? There is a lot of Music, but not so much that it takes up 120GB!
Also, whenever i put all my music into iTunes, there still needs to be a file with all the music in. Why is this/ Why cant it just all be on iTunes? Does that mean its taking up double te space because music is in iTunes and also in another file? (This may seem like a stupid question, but hey!)
thanks for all your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:32 PM

A tool which you can use to see what is taking up space on a given partitition/drive: Tree Size Free at http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

If you have enabled System Restore, that takes up space.

If you have a program like Go Back installed, it takes up space with backups.

If you have any Symantec program installed, you may have a "hidden" recycle bin which continually makes space for files which seem to have been deleted. There are probably similar programs which do the same thing.

FWIW: If you have just one big partition...I would suggest that you consider breaking that into at least 2 partitions, one for data files (music, videos, etc.) and one for the operating system and programs installed. That gives the user a better chance to recover data if something goes wrong with the boot/system partition.

As for iTunes :thumbsup:, I believe that it creates a My Music folder automatically when installed...which is not the same as the Windows My Music folder. It's been a few years since I used iTunes for anything, but I seem to recall that happening. There may be a more valid explanation at the iTunes forum.

Louis

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

You can point iTunes to any folder, so you should be able to keep just a single copy of the music, as long as you don't want to change the format. A change of format would create a new file. (I pointed my son's iTunes to a music folder that accessed a separate 120GB drive.)

You can also Right Click on My Computer and Left Click on Manage.

Select Disk Management.

You should be able to see your drives and how much free space you have on each one.

It should also show some hidden or "recovery" partitions, if they exist.

DR

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:16 AM

Another very good tool to visually see the space that every single file on your computer is taking up, and where it is located, is SEQUOIA VIEW.

http://w3.win.tue.nl/en/research/research_...on/sequoiaview/

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users